Drum loops

JerryD

I guess I was wondering how non-drummer guitar players get their drums in their songs. Drum samples, if so where at?, or software, If so which one?

There are several options that people generally go for. I have Addictive Drums, there's also EzyDrummer and variations and a few others that are commonly used.

I run Addictive from my DAW's (Reaper) MIDI editor - you get a million pre-programmed loops with most of these programs, none of which I actually use - I prefer to roll my own.

It's very easy to do bad fake drums - if you want to do good fake drums then understanding a bit about drumming and how drums are represented as samples and having a significant amount of patience will help you.

I'm a fan of Hydrogen. (Google hydrogen drum machine and you should find it, dont have my ten posts yet so no urls...) It's free software, so no need to drop money to figure out if it sucks :thumbs up:. I've only used the Linux version but it looks like it works on Mac and Windows as well.

It has an online "repo" of drum kit samples that you can download from within the program, which is nice. I find it intuitive, havnt tried any other software drum machines recently tho. Don't have any complaints so far!

Programming beats

I went to the library and borrowed "Crash Course Drums" and "Absolute Beginner's" Drums.

I created a drum kit from various samples - either those that I'd bought or found free on the Net - and then created a midi file based on the patterns in the books. After that I exported the midi files. As I use Live 8 as my DAW of choice, initially I used Impulse to map a kick, snare, etc. - as the "kit" grows I'll eventually run out of slots but there are various ways around this. Live comes with its own sounds and kits but I like to make up my own.

Working with the books is helping me see how a drummer would learn to play, and how classic beats are actually constructed. Once I've got the midi pattern saved, I can apply that pattern to anything I like. Sure, I've got loops and stuff too, but this is giving me another "way in".

When I can't get a drummer into the studio, I use Beta Monkey drum loops. Better google it. I don't wanna be all spammy and post a link.

You do know I was kidding right? I have seen your studio on the forum. Absolutely beautiful!

Though I do have a couple friends in St. Louis, and I get $60 round trip flights from Frontier via a business friend. Would be awesome to check it out in person! And beat some skins! :)

Back