Drum Loop Editing

Since it looks like your working with WAV files instead of MIDI, it's going to be a bit more time consuming. If it was midi with sampled drum sounds, then all you have to do is adjust the tempo of your song and it will adjust with it.

If I am reading the site right, and these are .wav files, then your going to have to timestrech each one in cubase and assemble them. Or if you are able to set up the whole drum track first and then timestrech the whole thing, but that is going to take a lot of time depending on the speed of your computer. Your easiest bet is to find the loops that have tempo's that match the songs you are trying to do so you don't have to timestrech at all.

Dude - I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but I think the only way to go about it without spending HOURS at it is to do everthing in ACID. It will cost a little, but maybe you can download a demo somewhere or something. Ebay probably has them for cheap.

Acid is awesome for arranging drum loops and will adjust the tempo on the fly. Sweet program.

I use drum loops within Cubase often. If you know the tempo of the loop you are working with then it is not a big deal to use the time stretch feature. If you don't know the tempo then you have a bit of work to do, but thankfully Cubase also has a Beat Calculator to help. Also moving loops around and editing is really not that big a deal once you get used to it.

To be honest I used to use Acid, but I decided to give Discrete Drums II a try and since I bought those I will probably not be using Acid to often anymore as I find the quality to be that much better.

I also highly recommend Craig Anderton's book "Mixing and Mastering with Cubase SX" as it explains working with loops in detail.

Back