Drum Kit with one mic.

LCD Mic? I am not sure I have ever heard of one of those. Can someone tell me what an LCD Mic is? I googled for it but came up empty.

jgourd said:
LCD Mic? I am not sure I have ever heard of one of those. Can someone tell me what an LCD Mic is? I googled for it but came up empty.

Wow, you are liek soooooo funny. Heaven forbid a person make a typo.

To actually CONTRIBUTE to the thread, I'd say, just listen for a sweet spot infront of the kit, maybe about 3 feet back. Try to balance height between the cymbals and the kick.

i use one mic overhead for non-rock stuff a lot. find a spot where everything sounds balanced around the drummers head. i use a small diaphragm job, but whatever...

i've also done two kits in a new room i'm working where one mic is out in front of the set...no real science...but when you get the player right (headphone mix crucial) it is really cool. kind of like an "instant drum sound"...very little waiting. been using a ribbon...but again...whatever you have will work...the room we have isn't huge- mic was only about 5/6 feet out somewhere in front of the kick.

good luck.

Mike

Try starting with the mic two drumsticks above the snare drum-pointing down, then adjust to taste.

I saw a tape of one of the Beatles appearances on the Ed Sullivan show. They mic'd Ringo's kit with a single Large Condensor Diaphragm :-)D) mic between the two rack toms and slightly below the tom head level.

Almost touching the drummers head, with the diaphragm about 4-8 inches in front of his head. It can take a little while for the drummer to get comfortable with it, but it makes it very easy for the drummer to "self mix" his levels, as the mic is hearing what he is hearing. You REALLY want an omni for this, by the way.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

wishtheend said:
Wow, you are liek soooooo funny. Heaven forbid a person make a typo.

To actually CONTRIBUTE to the thread, I'd say, just listen for a sweet spot infront of the kit, maybe about 3 feet back. Try to balance height between the cymbals and the kick.

Seriously, I tried to figure out what he meant by LCD and even considered typos. At this point I think he meant Large Diaphragm Condenser.

What I have been told is that for drums you need a small condenser because they handle transients better. If that is the case make sure the room is well padded from room reflections and stick the mic about three feet off the ground about three feet forward of the kit. Raise and lower the mic to alter the balnce between the kick, racks, and cymbols. With only one mic you will not have any of those nasty phase distortions that plague multi-mic setups.

when I started out I used to use a 57 for this. the best placement was about 5-7 feet out front, at exactly the height of the top of the bass drum (which should also be about the height of the snare and high hat, or at least pretty close, and I would point it at the snare, or right towards the middle of everything. that will give you a good balance. I assume it would also work with a condenser.

Thanks for all the tips I think I will try it in front of the kit between the cymbals the kick. By the way I did make a typo, I meant LDC (Large Diaphragm Condenser). I'm trying to record a musical for a church, but I'm doing it for free so I wanted to make everything as simple as possible.

THis si what u doooo!!!

This is what u do.......u set it behind u, exactly a foot back. Dead in the middle of ur back and about 2 feet above ur head and have it aiming strait toward the space between ur 2 main toms.Itz better to use a boom stand when ur doing this.This is how our drummer sets up in the studio.
-chris-

Back