Drum kit Frequencies

ESP85

What are the average drum kit frequencies? I am trying to boost the drum kit in songs that I broadcast. I heard it on another radio station and it sounds good but I can't duplicate it.

ESP85

Which drum?

Hell, you run the gambit with drums!

The kick drums resonates around 80Hz, and the cymbals shimmer around 12KHz. The snare and toms fall pretty much in between. But hey, the kick drum has attack around 4KHz, and the cymbals have body around 500Hz.

You need to understand that drums cover most of the frequency range. It is a matter of fitting each drum into it with a cohesive fit relative to the song. This will change from song to song, and there are really no "standard" eq curves that will cover the drums per se. Add in "depth" effects like delay and reverb and it starts getting complicated.

You might want to hire a real recording engineer for a few different sounding sessions and get a look at what they do to make the drums sound killer. I can assure you that I don't use the same techniques from band to band in drum production. I just apply whatever sound good. An understanding of many different production techniques is desirable for good natural sounding drums. Or even good processed sounding drums.....:)

Good luck.

Ed

Hey - Leave it alone!!

Really ESP85 if I am interpreting your question correctly you are a radio jock and somehow you want to re-eq someone's work so that the drums are louder?? on your radio station

geta life!!

Back