Drum hole

sellthekids

I just bought a set of drums to record, and I have read that you take off the bass outside skin or cut a hole if it. WHich is better and if a hole how big and where,. and what about the toms

Pleae don't take off the "whole" front bass drum head for recording...try recording with the bass drum head on first and see what kind of sound you get. Cutting a hole in the head is risky if you don't know what to do, using a razor blade and not getting a complete uniform cut will result in a flapping hole down the raod, hence, it will tear on you. Buying a precut bass head is the best way to go. This allows more sound pressure to be picked up through the hole when recording. Experiment with the head intact first, if not pleased try the pre-cutout head placing the mic 2-3 inches in front of the hole or directly in the hole 5-6 inches. You can also put a mic in the back by the bass pedal, don't record a squeaky bass pedal ; ) oil it. Hope this helps a little. Ralph

Thanks. I read alot of recording books, and they said to cut it or take it off.But i know reading it and doing it are two different things, so i thought i would ask people who have done it.

Thanks again

sellthekids...I like that, I've thought about selling mine a few times lol, but their grown now so I wouldn't get much for 'em. If you leave the drum head on try putting the mic directly centered in front off the head 2-3 inches, or put it at the edge of the head close mic, sounds are vibrations coming from the skin. Taking the whole head off would only pick up sounds from the batter head (this was a cool look for stage in the 60-70's). Have you ever seen a fog machine put in front of a ported drum head, man I've seen huge smoke rings coming outta there, this is pressure. You just have to experiment with mic placement and dampening materials till you get it "tuned" and sounding the way want, no easy soultion. Have fun!

I would have to agree with 87PRS. Leave the head on. Experiment with it.
I found that when I bought my first set Idid not like the "boom" I was getting from leaving the head on. But that was personal taste. Now I have a hole cut in it and can use it with or without the head. With the head on and the hole cut in it I can record my drums with the 2 mic set-up.

Good luck

Back