drum heads for recording

GoneinUS

I am setting up a recording studio in my basement. I am planning on buying some new heads for my kit (I plan on using a 4 piece, so it would be a 10" and a 14", along with a 14" snare). I plan on playing mostly pop/rock style. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what type of heads work well for studio work. I had heard good things in the various books I have been reading about Pinstripes. I have also heard good things about G2's and Emperors. I will also need a new bass drum batter head? Any suggestions? Also, do I need to replace the resonance heads as well?

Thanks.

You'll hear a lot of people saying good things on either Evans G2s or Remo Pinstripes. I've used both before and can tell you they both are really good. It just really comes down to what sound you prefer. As far as the kick is concerned, I really enjoy Evans' EMAD (batter side). It gives my kick an extra low end punch. As for the resonant side, I like Remo Ebony.

Both G2's and Pinstripes are two ply heads, so they provide much of the same amount of dampening. I've always thought the Pinstipes provide more fundamental tone (attack) with slightly less overtones - I personally prefer the G2's which I think provide slightly more overtones (harmonics or whatever term you my prefer). However, the difference between the Pinstripes vs. the G2's are small indeed - often it is simply a matter of what is in stock at the local music store. Both are very good heads.

I have been very happy with the Evans vented (coated) for the snare - although the Remo coated Ambasador has been an industry standard for as long as I've been playing (a long time)

I also am a fan of the EMAD for kick.

I use coated ambassadors for the batter head and clear ambassadors for the resonant head. Single ply heads are alot easier to record and they make the drums sound alot bigger and better.

I agree with the Robot. Single plys all round in the studio. For one thing they're louder.
But go with what you prefer. Far more important is to get your mics positioned to best capture the sound, and avoid phase issues

anyone ever use attack heads? i wanan get some, but id like some insight if youve used them for live and recording.

For any type of rock or hip hop, you simply must try the Aquarian SuperKick on bass drum. I'm a hair away from personally offering to purchase the head from everyone if they don't like it. I've been playing for over twelve years and have tried close to everything on the market on the kick. When I worked at a music store, the Aquarian rep told me to buy one and if I didn't like it, he'd give me $100. Seemed like a good deal to me, and I've never used anything else since. It has the perfect balance of attack and low end and doesn't need any muffling at all. Trust me, you need to try one.

Back