drum? confused!

BHead

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question! ;)

I've heard all that drum effects such as that snare needs some reverb and kick needs none ......

Recently I ran into a friend who happened to own a Roland electronic drum set. :D We recorded a few drum tracks and I've been trying to get a good mix out of it. NO! It's so hard people!

The Roland drum set has only 2 outputs (L & R). That's means the snare, bass, tom, cymbals, ...... will all be recorded with merely 2 channels. That is where the problem comes from. I can't get everything CLEAR in the mix because I simply can't do the magic (eq, verb, ...) to individual pieces.

What can I do? :( Any help or suggestion is appreciated! :)

You can usually edit the sounds inside the sound module, some of them have reverb and delay etc. built in.

Try hooking up midi with recording medium as master. So that it controls the start/ stop and synch. Mute out all pre programmed drum voices except one. Record it. Now do the same with another voice. It's called multi-tracking. It doesn't have to be pretty, just work!!

I'd have to agree with BHead. I just fought through it with a piece-o-junk Yamaha DTXpress kit. Although, I'm sure the Roland has much better sounds, you still have to do it piece by piece to get take it from sounding okay to sounding great. Grab some beers and set aside the afternoon ...

Back