Drum Compression

Heat

I'm thinking of using a compressor on my drums ( drum machine really ) prior to going into my soundcard and mixer. Anyone else do this..I think it might help fatten up the sound.....

Behringer Composer is what I am going to buy....tell me what you guys use...

Mabye this should go in recording techniques...but I wanted to hear the advice of real drummers :)

Heat

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heat:
I'm thinking of using a compressor on my drums ( drum machine really ) prior to going into my soundcard and mixer. Anyone else do this..I think it might help fatten up the sound.....

Behringer Composer is what I am going to buy....tell me what you guys use...

Mabye this should go in recording techniques...but I wanted to hear the advice of real drummers :)

Heat

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I compress alot. I know that some people don't like it-others do, I'm of the Tom Lord Alge school of "Compression is your friend"....
I don't use a machine-so I'm not sure how it would affect the sound-but I compress the Kick at usually a ratio of 4 through 10 to 1.
It just depends on what I'm trying to capture on tape; of course, you have to realize, that I compress everything at least 2-1 Ratio...
Just a habit I got into years ago, and it helps get more of an "In Your Face" type of sound.

Tim

umm, well if you're doing this, i advise you to get gates aswell. you should get a few compressors and keep em in a rack. basically, gate all the mics you have on the kit so that you can mix each mic as a seperate part. otherwise your snare mic will have the hi-hat coming through etc etc. DBX do some great gates. As for compressors, try the Alesis 3630. I couldn't tell you my favourite compressor cus i got about 15 and they all suit different drum sounds. some of the focusrties sound good. beringer sent me a composer to try out. there's some good results waiting to be found in that one. allthough,before you buy it, check out some of the LA Audio ones cus they have filters aswell. and make sure you try the 3630 form alesis too. Compression brings noise into the mix so make sure you have gates and good noise surpression! as long as everything sits in the mix, drum wise, you can sort compression later really. bass drums are what will drive the composer mad. I didn't have great luck with it. it's great for using on bass though. works wonders. I patched it into my neve desk and sent a bass track out to it and it did everything it was supposed to. it's a great unit. but try everything else. each compressor has a sound!

Hi,

I started playing drums 10 years ago, and I'm now studing sound technologies in France. As far as i'm concerned, i can tell you that composer isn't very good.... My school have one, and all the students prefer to use plugins!!!

If you want to buy one, you should have a look to BSS stuff... their compressors are great!!!!

I hope, you can understand me,
Vincent from Marseille, France.

I just like to add something about Behringer and their compressors. Try out the Autocom Pro instead,it much more friendly towards drums. More like the Dbx compressors and it features a enhancer/exciter controll that really comes in hand when you compress hard.
Then you should skipp the gates when recording live drums.If it´s clean sound you want then use a drum machine.I mean a drum is a fysic instrument and it´s suppossed to sound a little...
But do compress and a lot too!! Even drum machines can get a much punchier sond after a few hours of "knob-twisting".

Neve rocks !!

Back