Drum Compression Help

apush

I'm new to recording and need help with setting up my compressor. I'm using a cheap 5 piece Nady drum mic kit with a SM57 on the snare going into an Alesis 3630 compr. then in an Akai DPS16. I don't have a preamp. I've been using this setup for 3 months and can't figure the damn thing (compr) out. It's either too much or too little. I'm a solo artist and not a very good drummer. So the volume of my playing fluctuates a lot. A drum machine is not really any option for my style. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a sample song using this setup.

Yes, I know the toms sound dead. The heads are ancient and dimpled to hell. I have bought new heads since this was recorded.

Taking the 3630 OUT of your signal chain completely will help immensely............

Plug it in and use it on your desk as a colorful paperweight, or even a flashy doorstop (I mean, it does have all those pretty lights and all... it might as well be useful for *something*!)

Bruce

sell the 3630 on ebay and get a Behringer Autocom Pro ($79)...at least youll get a usable unit.....

New Compressor

Say, I do get a new compressor, any suggestions in a sub $300 unit. Maybe something tube? I still wouldn't know how to use the stupid thing. Did you hear my MP3? The snare pops in and out a lot. it's very uneven. I need help with settings.

You've four compressors in the AKAI DPS16 unit. Have you tried using them as well?

I tried to find some info about the mics you were using, is it Nady DMK-5 and the SM57? What are you using for overheads?

"You've four compressors in the AKAI DPS16 unit. Have you tried using them as well? "
good idea...anyone out there hip to the quality of the Akai's compressor?....has to be better than the 3630....

Akai compressors

I'll try the built in compressors. Do I compress the drums on the way in or after they are recorded? If I do afterwards I'll loose at least two of my effects. I can only use four at a time as it is and the only outboard equip I have is the stupid 3630.

Nobody has answered my original question. What are some good settings to start with. Rght now I have it set like this..... Thresh= -30db • Ratio=3:1 • Attack= 30ms • Release=50ms. How far off the mark am I? Please give me some advice other than "get a good drummer" or "your equipment is a doorstop". I need real advice not bashing.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Mics

yeah, I'm using the Nady DMK-5 setup on 3 toms and the bass drum SM57 on the snare and 1 SM57 as an overhead. It's crappy, I know. But after spending all my money on the recorder, it's all I could afford.

Your settings will depend COMPLETELY on the signal you send into it... although 3:1 or 4:1 ratio is reasonable to start with - threshold depends on your signal level, and attack/release depend on the song's tempo to a certain degree.

I wouldn't track with compression, 'cos you can't undo it later if you fuck it up.

Just as with a lot of other cases in audio engineering - a compressor is one of those devices you have to train your ears to use, because someone else's settings will NEVER apply to your situation.

Bruce

Blue Bear Sound said:
someone else's settings will NEVER apply to your situation.
Bruce

Just for the record.....two different compressors from different companies wih the same setting, will not sound the same as well.

So if Bruces RNC's settings work for him, it might not work for you. Close?...perhaps but not the same.

Shailat said:
So if Bruces RNC's settings work for him, it might not work for you. Close?...perhaps but not the same.

Yeah, but I bet they'd be a great starting point. Especially with some explanation on why they were chosen. For example, why a slower attack with a shorter release and higer ratio gives more punch to a kick or why a fast attack with a longer release and low ratio smooths out the vox.

Back