Drum amplification

iancl

Just interested to know if anyone's made a little PA setup JUST for drums?

I've got a mic setup and mixer, and will soon be beginning to buy some powered speakers. I'm gonna start off with a Yamaha MSR-400, which I'll also be using for vox in my band. But hopefully I can get a couple, and one or maybe two subs, which I could use to amp my drums for solos.

I'm also trying to get hold of a second strobe light. Currently I've got one which I can link to an Aux of the mixer, but this limits me to having it set up with a fixed mix of the mics - I'd like to have one strobe triggered by bass, and one by snare. I'm also aiming to get some simple par cans whose brightness will be controlled by the volume from the remaining mics.

Anyway, I wanna hear if anyone here does any solo drumming, and what their setup is like, and also, if anyone does any 'gigs' as solo drummers.

I used a small PA and a digital delay to do Stu Copeland stuff. Not that I can play anything like SC. :) Lots of fun, but too much stuff to carry around.

iancl said:
Anyway, I wanna hear if anyone here does any solo drumming, and what their setup is like, and also, if anyone does any 'gigs' as solo drummers.

Why on earth would anyone hire a solo drummer when they can hire an entire band and get the drummer for free? :p

Supercreep said:
I used a small PA and a digital delay to do Stu Copeland stuff. Not that I can play anything like SC. :) Lots of fun, but too much stuff to carry around.

Yeah I was also hoping to either borrow a loop pedal (or use a laptop) to make loops of drums to play over, and build some layers. Delay could be really fun though, especially with woodblocks/cowbells and extra percussion.

TexRoadkill said:
Why on earth would anyone hire a solo drummer when they can hire an entire band and get the drummer for free? :p

Shit man, I came to the drums and percussion section assuming people wouldn't be telling any drummer jokes or anything! Do other musos hang round here just incase an opportunity arises?! :p

I wasn't necessarily meaning being hired, I meant just putting on a show for a laugh. I'm trying to build up skills so that I can entertain people for maybe half an hour with impressive and fun rhythms, but I'm not expecting anyone to ever hire me to play a gig on my own! Drummers aren't well known for their solo acts (at least not known BEST).

Back