Drop-out problems! Need tips..

dj Happee

I went out and bought a IBM 61 gig 7200rpm hard drive yesterday and hooked it up. I thought that having a faster harddrive would help decrease the dropout problems from my CW9. For those of you that have great "no-problem" computers...what are you using?

1. soundcard
2. processor (mother board type if possible)
3. harddrive (with RPM speed)
4. RAM
5. other

I'm just trying to see if there is anything left that I can do to my computer to help it run better. Thanks guys....

Happee
(www.zone-seven.com)

A lot depends on how many tracks you utilize, how much realtime effects you use and what type of effects. Reverb, in particular is taxing to the system - and certain brands (Waves Ltd, e.g.) require a lot of processing power.

However, before investing in more equipment try defragging your hard drive, compacting your audio files, and/or increasing your latency settings. Also make sure you don't have any background programs running.

After that, I would suggest a minimum 700Mhz processor and 256Mb of memory. You might get away with less, but that's a pretty good starting point.

I had similar problems!

I upgraded from an AMD 350 to an AMD500 and from 128meg ram to 320meg ram. I improved my performance but the thing that really helped me out was pointers from this BBS. I was using real time effects on a few different tracks and before you know it my CPU usage level was up to 80% again and DROPOUTS were starting to happen again. Instead of using them in real time, I copied and archived each track and applied the effects destructively to all my tracks and now my CPU level has not past 40%. Once I get the realtime effect the way I want it, I save the setting then apply it to the audio clip - it works great!

autonickv

DJ Happee,
You have mentioned that you have an SB Live Sound card. Along with other advice posted, you may want to try going to “Audio HQ” from your SB toolbox and select “Device Controls”, then increase the Simultaneous Wave Playback.

If drop-outs are ‘occasional’ and not chronic, then usually a re-boot will help.

ONE MORE THING – turn off your virus protection when recording.

-SR

I've got a reasonably powerful computer and have tweaked a lot of settings... still find sonar to be a resource hog. I have fairly long latency, so with that, I don;t get many dropouts.

Back