drop D tuning and mixing

kormaniac

ok...ok...i know there are tons of posts about cleaning up the low end...and dropping out anything below 250hz for guitar...but do you apply this same approach when using drop D tuning with the guitar? I'm having a hell of a time getting separation from the bass drum, bass guitar and guitar. I'm amazed at the separation a band like korn can get with ungodly low tunings. Does anyone have any experience mixing under these conditions?
Also...when using eq in this situation, is a 20 band equalizer going to be narrow enough at the low end? I'm using SF Vegas Audio and only have digital eq techniques...any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

spectr

I have the Brainspawn SpectR-pro...but to be honest...I don't think I've figured out how to fully utilize it. I can solo tracks...and see what frequencies that peak...and either enhance those...or cut the frequencies that don't peak...and try to give and take between the bass drum, bass guitar, and guitar...do you think this would be the right approach? Thats really the only way I've attempted to work...however...I'm not sure that by my using the Sonic Foundry 20 band equalizer...gives me enough freedom to be selective enough for frequency bands at the lower end....

My strategy for cutting out low end is to use a low shelf on a parametric eq. I move the frequency setting higher and higher until i hear the guitar sound thin, then i back it off a little to wear it sounds full, and it usually ends up at about 150-250, depending on what the amp settings were like. By turning on and off the eq, I can usually notice a whole lot of unguitarish low-end noise while the eq is disabled, when you hear that that noise is gone but you still have a full guitar sound you know you've done it right.

Eric

i usually cut (with sonic foundry paragraphic eq) low end at about 100-150..generally.

then - that leaves a ton of room for the bass and kick to take control. i just fill the rest up with those 2 for the most part. I've still yet to figure out how to get a REALLY nice kick/guitar/bass combination though. i think the problem mainly lies in my bass sound i'm getting.

the kick/guitar/bass combination is what makes a rock song sound super powerful i think...at least heavily distorted songs..

the dreaded lows

I'm gonna give the paragraphic and parametric a run...thanks for the comments...I'll be sure to post...if I find the magical mix....haaa haaa....

Back