drop c tuning

tigerotool

when i had the pickups replaced in my guitar and bass i asked the guy to set up my guitar for drop d tuning. now a couple months later i want to play in drop c tuning. i use the ghs lo tune zakk wylde set (11-70) on my guitar, an ibanez grx20 and it's ok. i use the ghs bass boomers (50-115) on my bass, an ibanez gsr100 and there is some fret buzz. should i just bring them back to a repair guy and tell him to set it up for drop c tuning.

You should probably stop playing whatever God forsaken crap you are playing that requires drop C.

Outlaws said:
You should probably stop playing whatever God forsaken crap you are playing that requires drop C.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!! Drop C. Give me a fucking break!! I should fuck with everyone and just tune the whole guitar to F!!!

tigerotool said:
when i had the pickups replaced in my guitar and bass i asked the guy to set up my guitar for drop d tuning. now a couple months later i want to play in drop c tuning. i use the ghs lo tune zakk wylde set (11-70) on my guitar, an ibanez grx20 and it's ok. i use the ghs bass boomers (50-115) on my bass, an ibanez gsr100 and there is some fret buzz. should i just bring them back to a repair guy and tell him to set it up for drop c tuning.

Yeah, take it back in. The action, truss rod and intonation will probably all need readjusting.

cobradenim said:
I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!! Drop C. Give me a fucking break!! I should fuck with everyone and just tune the whole guitar to F!!!

i guess you've never heard of system of a down, metallica or thousands of other bands that play in drop c. i'm mostly a hip hop producer by the way. i'd rather play like that than sound like buddy holly and the crickets. if you don't like it i don't care.

Ahh yes...Buddy Holly and the Crickets. There were so so. Nothing wrong with them. Good wholesome music.

And of course - Waylon was the man.

Where were we?

Oh. "Thousands of other bands"

Lets see you name a thousand bands.

grinder said:
Yeah, take it back in. The action, truss rod and intonation will probably all need readjusting.

winner all i wanted was a straight answer. looks like i'll be out 50 bux for repairs in the near future.

i should've known i was gonna get a purist or 2 to be like why the hell are you playing that low. i just like to experiment with audio it's fun.

Drop C tuning

Drop C tuning... To each his own. No need to criticize. But as for those GHS Boomers.............
NO NO NO NO NO!!! 70's on a guitar = BAD TONE, once you get into that gauge, your more than less putting a bass string on your guitar. 1154-60 is just fine for drop C and if your guitar is decent the tuning shall stay fine. I would NOT go anywhere past 60's for my low E. I use a Tony Iommi signature Gibson pickup with my ESP Viper 50 and I am tuned to drop c. Don't "hate".

tigerotool said:
i guess you've never heard of system of a down, metallica or thousands of other bands that play in drop c. .
I hate System Of A Down. And Metallica has SUCKED since ...And Justice For All.

tigerotool said:
i i'm mostly a hip hop producer by the way. i'd rather play like that than sound like buddy holly and the crickets. .

The otherway around for me. Why play that low? Everything is just mud at that point. Just get a Baritone guitar..or better yet, if you're gonna play that goddamn low, just play a bass!
tigerotool said:
if you don't like it i don't care.
I don't care either. I'll take AC/DC over any new dropped D or C band anyday! Most guys these days can't fucking sing so instead of trying to have some kind of vocal range, they just play in bullshit tunings and try to make everyone else as sad as they are. You can play whatever you want but the classics will never die...but dropped C and D will.

wow..what a world of close-minded people. Who really cares how your guitar is tuned..a good song is a good song, and just because you don't happen to like something doesn't mean it's not good...

i mean, don't bash something just because you don't get it or don't have open ears

Outlaws said:
Just out of curiosity....

What song or songs did Zeppelin do in drop C?

There is a difference between dropped C and C tuning. Dropped C is like dropped D, ie standard tuning with the 6th string tuned down to D. In dropped C, you start with standard tuning down a whole step, and drop the 6th string down to C. I think a lot of people are confusing that with simply tuning down two whole steps.

Jimmy Page used an altered tuning on some acoustic tunes (Bron-yr-aur, Poor Tom) tuned C-A-C-G-C-E low to high. Fretting the fifth string at the third fret gives you a C chord. It's a sweet tuning. He never used it on an electric on any Zep records.

new metallica = :(

cobradenim said:
I hate System Of A Down. And Metallica has SUCKED since ...And Justice For All.

I agree with you on Metallica. My favorite album by them was the black album; it has the sickest heavy metal guitar sound. Just listen to the crunch in Sad But True.. brutal.

What differance does the tuning of a guitar make to the integrety of the music? Some people seem to dismiss music as crap as soon as they know what the guitarists tune to.

i'm actually a youth minister i like bands such as kutless, pillar, falling up they play in drop d, drop c#, drop c. but y'all probably never heard of any of them and yes they can sing. i'm just trying to name some secular bands you might reckognise that play in drop c. you all probably don't want to listen to someone sing about jesus or subliminally sing about jesus and i'm not going to force you. its a free country do what you like. my question was about guitar set up and action and i have the answer to the question so calm down people it's only music.

?mic forum?

I thought I was in the guitar forum...?

Is this the mic forum? From the negativity OOZZING, I would guess it to be...

Back