Drop C tuning (string gauge for bass)

sarge117

Ok,

So I am looking into doing some drop C tuning stuff.

I mainly play guitar but I have a bass I record with that I have not changed the strings in forever. Still sounds decent though. But I have no idea how bass string gauges go, or what gauge I currently have on my bass.

I do notice that the strings are very loose and flubby when I go into drop C tuning on the bass.

Can anyone recommend a bass string guage for playing drop C.

Thanks

I new I'd read about a bass string calculator somewhere. The thread explains why you need to do some experimenting despite being able to calculate the string gauge or mass per unit length for a give tension or scale length.

Try this

Here is the full thread.

you will want some of the stiffest bass strings you can find for dropping down 2 whole steps.
in my opinion that is too low of a tuning for a bass plus the frequency response is not that good.

not to mention when you tune back up to standard tuning it is going to sound and play like ass.
oh and I forgot to mention you willl have to do nut work then once you find out you hate it you will have to replace the nut you modified.
it is not worth the time or effort.

get a 5 string instead and play it in standard tuning. JMO

get a 5 string instead and play it in standard tuning. JMO

Is that what most bands that play drop C do?

I hate to spend the cash as I mostly spend my money on on guitar stuff. But that might be the better route.

For guitar I have an old ESP I bought back in the 80's I use for standard and drop D tuning.

For drop C I have a Les Paul Studio. The only difference in strings between the two is that I use 10's on the ESP, and 11 on Les Paul.

While the 11's may or not be optimal, they sound pretty damn good.

Is that what most bands that play drop C do?

I hate to spend the cash as I mostly spend my money on on guitar stuff. But that might be the better route.

For guitar I have an old ESP I bought back in the 80's I use for standard and drop D tuning.

For drop C I have a Les Paul Studio. The only difference in strings between the two is that I use 10's on the ESP, and 11 on Les Paul.

While the 11's may or not be optimal, they sound pretty damn good.

I just went ahead and traded in my bass for a 5 string.

thumbsup.gif

Back