drop and drag drummer

bhlewis

is anybody using drop and drag drummer with cakewalk if so is it any good. ineed a really good drum program. thanks

bball jones,

I'm curious why you say "seems rather proprietary." As far as I know you can drag and drop parts into more or less any MIDI sequencer or digital audio program.

bhlewis,

I own it and I like it. There's not a tremendous variety of styles available but what's there is very useable. What I really like is that the same parts are also available in MIDI form, and they include a Sound Font file made from the same kit that the audio loops are. So you can use sequenced drum parts that sound a lot like the loops. Very flexible. They have their own website

http://www.dddrummer.com

and it includes some links to reviews. Here's a couple:

http://www.pcrecording.com/dddreview.htm
http://www.egroups.com/message/musicians-tipsheet/14?&start=12

EM magazine also had a review in their November issue.

-AlChuck

AC,

It didn't seem to want to be a part of my "happy home".

I liked experimenting with it though, and since I reformatted, I thought it unnecessary to reload. Maybe I will rethink my position.

I've said before and I'll say it again....DRAG AND DROP BUMMER is what it is......I have DDB and Drumtrax and I use drum trax almost exclusively. Why? because DDB crashes, it has an extremely limited number of tempos, you have to have in your cdr, and its a pain to use generally.....Options...there is no magic bullet to getting realistic drums in audio/midi without having a real drummer....Drumtrax has many more different tempos and I cut and paste to accomodate each individual song... much work but usable....the most user friendly thing i have found is fruity loops which far more than midi drum progam and costs about 10 dollars more than the bummer. I used to just download band in the box demos from their site and cut and paste those...for nothing. any way you slice it unless you have the ability to really to play drums you inevitably end up having to accomodate your song the the software and play along with it. 80% of my project time is eaten up trying to get a solid drum part. my 2 cents
ALchuck is there a shuffle on the bummer cd? I haven't been able to find it...is there any percussion?

drum programs

i just checked out b.box by steinberg. the sounds that it comes with are mostly crap but you can load in your own sounds & create your own banks (it even comes with a stereo to mono wav. converter, just drag & drop)it gives you pretty good velocity control, pan, shuffle, etc... it doesn't seem to have a song building mode but you can export your patterns to wav. and cut and paste. i dont believe it's very expensive either you can probably find it at the steinberg website...

Re: drum programs

If you're looking for percussion loops and sounds, Drag and Drop Musician just came out with a new disc called the Percussion Kit. They also updated their software.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Power! and Sound Forge Power! books, and Publisher of the DigiFreq music technology newsletter. Learn about cool tips and techniques for your music software by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... surf to:
http://www.garrigus.com/

garrigus,
Thanks for the recents on d&d. Nice software, but some pest control and ironing is in order, maybe they are gettin' closer this time 'round. Will have a check see.

I sent and Email to d&dd awhile back, suggesting a couple of changes. Must be that they listened to me and others. One thing that was suggested is that they allow samples to be accessed from the hard drive . . . the new software does.
This is important because you can now create your own sample s and store them on your hard drive or use other sample data outside of the limited d&dd disk.

The really stupid thing is that there is ZERO incentive to register your d&dd software . . . ZERO. What do ya get? Discounts on upgrades? NO. Free fixes and patches? NO. You get Email Spam on how you can buy their new version and sample disks for the same price as everyone else.

Other than this, I will say that d&dd is the easiest program I have ever used to create realistic percussion sounds. I'm now experimenting with the new percussion kit and Samplehead's NYC drumworks . . . some great stuff there.

Regards,
PAPicker

Back