Driver problems with audio via USB

mgraffeo

I'm running into some difficulty with drivers (I think), and while I'm contacting the manufacturer, I thought that I'd see if anyone has had similar problems. I'm running a P4 1.5Ghz system with 512MB RAM, 75GB dedicated audio drive (7200rpm), 60GB main system drive (5400rpm), WinXP, Sonar 2.1, and an Event EZBus, hooked up via USB.

I've imported clean .wav files (with no audio glitches) into tracks in Sonar, and am trying to change the latency settings in order to be able to monitor without any glitches (pops, clicks, or dropouts). I've disabled the onboard soundcard, and set everything to use the EZBus. I've tried for days, and cannot find any setting that will not give me a result without glitches. I've slid the latency slider all the way over, changed the number of buffers, and changed the I/O buffer size across their entire ranges, each time re-running Wave Profiler, and restarting Sonar.

The thing that really troubled me was last night, when I disabled the EZBus, and re-enabled the on-board soundcard. No problems at all with glitches. I could change whatever settings I wanted to, and practically couldn't get glitches.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar with USB audio interfaces, and if there's any optimization required, or something else that I need to be doing. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!!!

When you re-setup your onboard audio, did you configure and test Sonar to work with the onboard card? (just to make sure it's not a Sonar-interfacing-with-EZBus problem)

Seanmorse79,

After disabling the EZBus and enabling the built-in soundcard on my motherboard, I re-ran the Wave Profiler in Sonar. I didn't move the latency slider, number of buffers, or I/O buffer setting.

My current interpretation is that it probably is a Sonar-working-with-EZBus problem, and I'm trying to work with Event's tech support to see if they can fix it. My guess is that it's a problem with the WDM driver for the EZBus. Unfortunately, they are woefully understaffed in tech support there, so it takes a while to get responses. In the mean time, I figured I'd see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks again for your help!

-mg

True. I'm sure they're especially understaffed during the holidays. You might also talk with Cakewalk Tech support. Forgive the lack of correct terminology, but they have "setup" files for working with specific pieces of hardware, and I'm fairly sure that the EZ-Bus is one of them. ...probably worth a try.

Good luck with it - I have't worked with the EZ-Bus, but it looks very cool.

Back