Dream Studio

Echelon

Lights Fish on Fire.
I'm sure this has been done before, but equipment changes so quickly... If you had $250,000 to spend on equipment (not including soundproofing, rent, bills, etc...) and you were starting from scratch, what would you spend it on? I'm talking about computers, programs, mixers, monitors, mics, preamps, rack gear, patch pays, cables... EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I'd spend a year on this site and every other recording based website out there reading everything I could so I understood everything from top to bottom and spend the extra $150,000 on a mermaid

Another spray of diet pepsi out of my nose! That's twice today...what the hell!

I hate to break it to you but you're living in a fantasy world....everyone knows that a good mermaid costs twice that! Unless you're like those trashy ones with the raggedy looking tails :D

dude...if you go down to the gulf of mexico, I swear you can get mermaids for about $50,000. Yeah, a LOT of them smell really bad, and might be a tad overweight, but if you know the right spots to go to, you will find a keeper.

I've found a couple of mail-order mermaids, like from the Black Sea for a lot cheaper than $50,000...

:eek:

Read the fine print on those adds...I think you'll find that those will already have been freeze dried, packed in salt and canned.

Well i have enough now but if i had to restart this would be my setup.

Roland VS-2000
Akai MPC2000
M-Audio BX8's
Yamaha Motif 6

and spend the rest on otha lil things and invest whats left.

I would get all the top of the line (the pro models) of behringer gear.
Then spent the remaining $249,900 on pizza and beer.

If I had $250,000, I'd probably just buy SGI. I think that's about what they're worth these days.... :D

Either that or I'd spend $14,000 on a quad G5 with four 30" Cinema HD displays, spend another $2k on software and audio interface, and $9k on mics, monitors, and other miscellaneous equipment.

Then, I'd spend $5k on a head hunter to help me hire a great A&R rep and another $100k to retain that person for two years, plus $30k for insurance, etc. I'd spend $40k to fly/drive them all around the country for two years hunting great acts.

I'd spend $10,000 on a T1 line for two years, paid in advance, for the internet connection for the studio website..

I'd spend $10,000 for somebody else to set up the e-commerce site for me so I didn't have to do it myself.

The remaining $30,000 would get divided in half, and half would be used to pay for the cost of pressing and distributing CDs for sale, the other half for advances for bands. Five bands (over the course of two years) would each get a $3000 advance and $3000 worth of CD pressing/distribution.

The bands would be promoted through the availability of selected free tracks available via P2P, through adwords on google for similar bands, through the occasional ad in R&R, through begging Apple to give them out as the free single of the week, and through mass seeding to radio stations, all done as funding permits.

I would put it all on a bankaccount and tell others that i am the only one in the world who didn't loose any money 'running a studio' That would make me famous haha

250k could actually take someone a long way in terms of gear and recording environment. But I hope you plan to pay with cash cause the payoff of a loan that size will likely never be realized in the industry unless you're one heck of a lucky guy. I'd go to Mercenary.com and buy one or two of everything. :D

Back