Dream (pop-rock song) - Remix in progress

Joza

After reading some mixing books and practising a little, I decided I should put those skills that I hopefully gained in use and do a complete remix of one of my songs. The only one that is really finished and has vocals recorded. :p

Here is the old mix:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=23860

The vocals were recorded for free by a friend of my friend so they are far from perfect, but I think they suit the song very well if I just edit the faults out of them. The old mix has not even been combed so it is probably going to improve.

Oh and also all the instruments (including guitars :( ) are VST's so if they sound a bit fake, they are. :p But I guess they are quite believable and they are also going to improve a little bit.

But anyway. On this stage I would be grateful to receive any general ideas and/or comments you might have for the new mix. :)

Lyrics:

Sun is rising once again, it's dawn
Draging down to grey reality
Trying to hang on for a little while more
But the dream, it slips away
It flows away, because I was again just

Dreaming of you lying there by my side
Chained by your smile, drowning deep in your eyes
But when I reach out to touch you my dear
Illusion shatters and fades away

Sun is setting once again, day's gone
Another one without you in my life
Now the night will bring relief
As I fall in to the dream
The time will stream
So fast because, I will be

Dreaming of you lying there by my side

<solo>

Dreaming of you

Not bad man. You've obviously put a lot of work into this. You have to take another look at the drums though buddy. They sound much too weak for the drive of the song. It's clear you want the song to gallup but it's not fully happening with those drums. I think this would also make the vocals sit better in the track. Good luck!
Vincent

Thanks for the comment! :)

Yep, I think I'll go trough all the instruments again (there were so many noob-mistakes in the original, like compressing something without knowing why, that I decided it would be better to start again from the beginning instead of trying to remember what I was trying to do with all the effects and stuff), but I will give special attention to the drums. I'd like the song to be at the same time kind of "dreamy" but also passionate and powerfull, so it's kind of hard to balance it. But I guess you are right that drums need more power. They don't need to be dreamy, there are enough other instruments that can handle that side. :)

Question #1:

For some reason many of the background vocals sound very nasal, and it gets worse after using autotune (they are badly off pitch). Any tips on how to lessen it? Is it just EQ or are there other tools that might be suitable?

Not bad.

I think the vocals need to come up a bit. They could probably be compressed (harder) - words at the end of phrases tend to get lost. I'm also noticing some minor pitchiness in spots.

A double tracked vocal would probably sound good.

Not bad.

I think the vocals need to come up a bit. They could probably be compressed (harder) - words at the end of phrases tend to get lost. I'm also noticing some minor pitchiness in spots.

A double tracked vocal would probably sound good.

Agreed. :) The singing is quite inaccurate, but I'll try to fix that at least when it comes to pitch. I guess I leave timing of the words mostly untouched.

At least some parts will have double tracking in the new mix (in places where it is possible to make two good and nearly identical comb tracks). At least in last chorus; for second chorus I'll maybe try some sort of ADT to make it also stand out more.

What do you guys think about the solo? Of course it's also made with VST's but is it otherwise ok or should I concider rewriting it. I'm not sure.. Oh and at the end of the solo, bass and piano are playing their own things completely out of sync, so that will be fixed.

Back