Dream Highway

hey dude,you might wanna put that link on your index page at Tripod.....Tripod will kill your account over night without warning for remote linking(direct linking like you did here).....this link is dead in the water.

p.s. I know this from experience.;-)Tripod deleted my site a year and a half ago along with 50 megabytes of songs I had up as Real Player files.....NO warning.The more people that hit this link the better the chances are for them deleting it.

They call this "Bandwidth Theft".

When I hit the link just now it says you've exceeded your bandwidth limit, and that it will be available in two hours.

Good tune, first off. Definetly reminded me of Steve Miller Band stuff. But raise the vocals, especially during those verses. I like the synthy stuff you got going on in there, everything seems pretty well mixed except for those vocals being way too low. Also, I was listening in headphones, and the stereo stuff you threw in is kinda cool, but I think it can be a little distracting at times.

Good song....I also hear the Steve Miller Band in it. The vocals are way too low and I don't care for the sound of the lead vocals. oddly enough the bckgrnd vocals are loud enough and have a much better tone. Good guitar playing. Except for the vocals....the mix was pretty good. nice song.

Catchy little rock tune.Im with LT. Bob....the music tracks are pretty good and the guitar playing is fine.The vocals are just not mixed right.The lead vocal is almost non-existent...Oh yeah,gotta love the harmony guitars.....the synth sounds pretty good too.....is there any way you can re-mix the vocal and bring it to the forefront and balance out the BGV's?

The open guitar riff made me think it was Rock-n-Roll all night by Kiss.

What did you record this on?Good clean Recording,just not mixed as good as it could be.

The drums need to have more oomph also.When the guitar breaks down at 2:52 the snare needs to be cracking through with authority.......without the snare breaking through the mix with some power, the breakdown effect of the guitars is lost and doesnt work.

The more I listen.....the drums do need to have more power all the way through and some cymbals would be nice.....especially a Ride cymbal during the chorus and the guitar solos on the end.....a steady ride Cymbal would make those sections flow.

Good song overall.

Hey JJT,
....man, when this first started I thought you were doing a cover of "Rock and Roll all Night". ......oops i just read Kramer's post...... ditto my man. I like the song alot...... but the mix could use some work. It seems like simple tweaks on the levels would improve this 100%. The main r. guit., and the bg.vocs are way up front.....followed by the keys, then the 2nd guits,.....then the drums.......................................then the lead vocs. I cant hear hardly any bass at all, but im listening on my office 'puter and it is always thin..... so thats probably just me. Like i said, its a great song, but a little work on the mix could really make it sound nice too. ....stick w/ it bro. g

Thanks for checking it out everyone!

synergy and lt bob - My lead vocals are the bane of my existance, especially in this context where a rock singer is needed (you should hear the guy who wrote it!). Hence, they're buried, and futzed (phone eq'd). I tried and tried to pull it off with a cleaner sound but hated every attempt. Maybe I'll give it another whirl.

tripleM- sorry you couldn't access the site, alas it's a free one and they don't allow much bandwidth. Thanks for trying.

kramer- thanks for helping me out with the post and for your comments. I agree with a lot of them. I'm kind of stuck though due to my equipment and the way I have to record. I have a bare bones version of Cool Edit that has no plug ins and only allows me about 10 tracks to work with. The drums, keys and bass are all sequenced on a Roland keyboard and then laid into my computer as a stereo pair, so going back into anyone of those is nearly impossible as is doing any eq once a track is recorded. Still there's a lot I could do level wise. I agree with your drum comments, I don't know why avoided cymbals crashes and rides when I programmed it (maybe because they didn't sound so good to me on their own).

Guernica- I don't know why the "Rock and Roll all night" thing never occured to me but I guess it does kind of sound like it. This was a song that my friend wrote (he posts here occasionally as "Sinner") a long time ago, and I tried to copy most of what he had done originally. "Tried" is the operative word. Once I get a better program to record and mix with (which will hopefully be soon), I'll be going back into this one. Thanks for the encouragment!

Jon

Hey Jon,

Very clean recording. Something for me to aspire to. I dug the tight, smooth and flavorful rhythm gits. I was left in want of a snappier snare and more prominent kick but, that could very well be my end.

The backup vox were well placed and sounded really good. The problem was the fact that they stood out more than the lead vox:D. I'd push the vox up for sure. It kinda sounded like the lead vocals were behind the drums, off stage, sereptitionly singing through a hamonica mic while the backup singers (yes, I know "they" are you:)) are flanking the non-existant singer on center stage...............O.K. not that bad, but that is the visual that coincided with the placement and tone of the vox. Push em up and if you don't like how they sound, then double them or tripple them or modulate with verb and chorus or whatever. But, you can't get away with hiding the lead vox.

I know this is kinda hammering the point home but, on your other (very good) tune you did the same and the song really came alive after you remixed and upped the vox. You've displayed an acute knowlege of mixing and music in general through your comments on others tunes so you know better than to hide a track period, much less a lead vocal.

Ohh, I really liked the backup vocal sweep that lead into the exit!! So simple but, sooo cool. It might have more of an effect if another element was more centered (and the center of attention) in that part of the song. Maybe a lead git simpley sustaining and following the notes of the backup vox and that vox sweep a little lower than the git in the mix. Just a thought.

Hope this wasn't too littered with my taudry opinions. As it stands, the mix is clean like my mamma's kitchen and the playing is tight and pleasing to the ear!!!

Peace,

Theron.:)

Hey Theron,

I like the visual of the scared singer hiding backstage, that's me in a nutshell. Due to all the advice, I think I'll give the vocals another try, without the phone eq. I like the idea of supporting the outro vocals with something else, I wish I had more tracks! Maybe I can find a way without doing anymore bouncing. And the drums do need some brightening and punching up, I will have to take that into consideration when I mix down my Roland tracks in the future.

As for my so called knowledge... we all tend to get wrapped up in our projects, it's easy to lose perspective and objectivity, that's what's great about a forum like this. We all need fresh ears to avail us of our misperceptions.

Thanks for your insight and good words, and stop knockin' your comments, you're always right on.

Jon

Finally got through...

My comments run much the same as the others. Good catch pop song.

The lead vocals are tough to hear. The telephone voice on the lead vocals makes it tougher. The harmonies don't have that effect, and I don't think that that contrast between the two is the way to go.

I liked the guitar sound. A little "tinny", but I still think it works well in the overall atmosphere of this song. Good lead fills.

I think I'd prefer the song without the keyboards. I can't decide if I don't like them because of the tone on them or the part they're playing. It might be a little of both.

I mentioned too many negatives. Sorry. Good song.

jjtcorsair said:

My lead vocals are the bane of my existance, especially in this context where a rock singer is needed (you should hear the guy who wrote it!). Hence, they're buried, and futzed (phone eq'd). I tried and tried to pull it off with a cleaner sound but hated every attempt. Maybe I'll give it another whirl.

I think you made them worse than whatever they were before the effects and burying the levels. I'm not trying to be harsh on you but if you're gonna sing...then sing like you mean it, mix it so we can hear it, and don't apologize. We're all probably way too overcritical of our own singing voice. I bet it's not as bad as you think :).

Other than that the song sounds pretty cool.

TripleM- Thanks for your persistence. As I said in an above post, my singing isn't my strong suit, I know it's not an excuse to keep trying, and I will. The original version of the song had no keyboards so I thought I would do a different take on the arrangement- it's a little out there I agree. Thanks for the compliments and input.

erichnryus- I'm starting to think people don't like my vocal treatment on this one :)- thanks for the encouragement.

I think the vocal treatment is cool,just needs to come up some.
Reminds me of Steve Miller.

Really nice guitar playing!
I love the mix of the keys and guitar on the instrumental parts.

Great sound!

Best to you,
Pete

Muzeman-
Thanks for the compliments, I was beginning to wonder. By the way, saying anything I do is reminiscent even in the slightest of Steve Miller makes me grin big. Thanks...

Fender-
The guy who wrote the song said to me last night, "I thought you knew I was ripping "Rock and Roll All Night" in the intro". I guess you can lose your perspective. Thanks for the props!

BY THE WAY- FOR REASONS BEYOND MY CONTROL I HAD TO REMOVE THIS MP3 FROM MY WEBSITE, THANKS FOR ALL THE COMPLIMENTS AND INPUT.

jjtcorsair said:

BY THE WAY- FOR REASONS BEYOND MY CONTROL I HAD TO REMOVE THIS MP3 FROM MY WEBSITE, THANKS FOR ALL THE COMPLIMENTS AND INPUT.

Did tripod kill access to the file?

Back