Dreaded Squealing Tape

Wesleymino

Hi, a newbious question for you all. I've been getting that horrible squealing sound while playing a reel on my 388, apparently coming from where the tape runs between the capstan and pinch roller. That's tape shedding right? I removed the tape, which isn't very old at all, and cleaned the capstan and rubber roller, and the whole tape path, then I loaded in a fresh reel and the squealing started right back up. Is it just that I need to clean more? Why would brand new tape shed like this? What do you all think?

It's worse than that. It's sticky-shed syndrome, which means that the binder that holds the oxide to the tape has collected moisture. Sticky-shed tapes can be healed by baking at low temperature in a convection oven. Do a search, there's lots of info about this here. But stop running that tape on your machine!

Exactly what kind of tape is it? It's strange that brand new tape would do this.

Its Quantegy 456. The new kind that looks like this:

http://www.bigaudio.co.jp/images/deck_images/456.jpg

I figured it was sticky shed but yeah, I didn't expect it from a new, sealed reel, I store them in my closet, wouldn't think the temperature would vary wildly in there. I have read a little about tape baking, I need to research that a little more before I try it. Thanks.

If thats the tape you have I doubt that its the tape making the noise.
It could be the capstan belt is starting to slip and that is what is making the noise.
But if you where using real old tape it could be you need to clean the tape path again and use a little pressure on the heads and the rest of it.
Good luck with your machine

Hmmm. Well I'm beginning to think it might be the belt, then. Both tapes were quite new. And I read another thread where a similar problem was attributed to the belt. How would I check for sure that it is the belt? And would that mean it's new belt time? I've read that they are fairly easy to replace. Thanks for the help.

I am not sure about how to tell if its the belt. But The hardest part about replacing the belt is turning the machine over and taking out all of those screws for the bottom cover. I think a new belt is about 15.00 from tascam and maybe Reel will pop in hear and give you a place that is cheaper.
But For what it costs its a cheap thing to do and easy and besides that a spare belt is nice to have around.

The pinch roller might also just need a squirt of sewing machine oil on the inner bearing and that too might be the cause of the problem. The pinch roller is usually removable by pulling a "C" clip from the top of the shaft that holds the rubber roller in place but check the manual to know for sure.

I don't believe its the tape because if it was, the heads, guide posts and lifters would be filthy with dirt and I didn't see you saying anything about excessive dirt.

As for storing tapes in a closet, that's a good start but also keep in mind that ideal tape storage is around 70 degrees F and 40% humidity. Sticky Shed Syndrome may one day still be a problem for you if those long term storage axioms are not met.

Cheers! :)

Back