Drawback to powered monitors?

nay

I'm full of questions (among other stuff). I'm looking at studio monitors... roughly in the $300-500 range. In other words a $300 pair of monitors +$150 amp to power them. OR... shell out $470 for a set of powered monitors (like the Event PS6). My question is ... Is there a draw back to self powered monitors?

Absolutely not. In fact, in powered monitors, if the crossover is active rather than passive, then the effeciency will be higher; even more so when active and bi-amped.

Before, say around when the Event 20/20bas first came, it seems most studio engineers did not really like powered nearfield monitors. However, technology advancement has kicked-in regarding power monitors. Most engineers will agree that powered monitors is now the way to go.

Hey nay,

Where have you seen PS6's for $470?????????
That is a steal!! Tell me, please tell me!!!!!

Are you sure those weren't the PS5's for that price?

Brad

From a theoretical standpoint, well-designed powered monitors are better because the amp and monitors can be designed to work perfectly with each other, sonically and electrically.

OTOH, having separate pieces means you can substitute in an emergency.

"It's your choice, but I warn you not to underestimate my powers" -- Luke Skywalker

Geez, from nine years ago?
I think this is the closest to the HR Big Bang that thread telescoping has peered yet. Only about 11 months after the Bang, so long ago that there are not just one, but *two* original moderators participating. First time I've seen "Recording Engineer" show up in a thread resurrection.

G.

Back