Drake - "Hold On We're Going Home" Cover (Critique):

MEvansMusic

Hello everybody,

Here's a live take I did of Drake's "Hold On We're Going Home", I'm just looking for general feedback. Good, bad, the worst, whatever. Lay it down...I need all the feedback I can get. I think I'm improving (for those of you who have critiqued me before--you may notice), but I just want to be critiqued with objectivity. I'm going to perform my first live set tomorrow so I thought I'd do a little practicing:

https://soundcloud.com/matthewevansmusic000/drake-hold-on-were-going-home

Thanks guys

Matt

Thanks! :) hear anything that could use improvement?

Sounded good but I think more variety in the melody would be nice--like what you did around 2:00 mark...that kind of thing. Otherwise it was cool. It definitely sounds original, but maybe stretch up to some higher notes every now and then too just to give it more flavor. The first half kind of drags without that, I think.

Thank you! Glad you liked it. Now that you point this out, I can see exactly what you mean. The song has no actual second verse, so I see what you mean--it's the same stretch over again. Thanks for the feedback! Anything else?

Thank you! Glad you liked it. Now that you point this out, I can see exactly what you mean. The song has no actual second verse, so I see what you mean--it's the same stretch over again. Thanks for the feedback! Anything else?

Nah nothing else. Other than that stuff I thought it was great! You have a nice voice.

hope everything went well for you

Thanks man. It was good! It was my first live performance so I was riddled with nervousness, but people actually really enjoyed my music, which I feared wouldn't happen. Gave me some new confidence and motivation to keep going.

I like the simple guitar accompaniment you used much more than the accompaniment that Drake uses. You have a great voice. On thing that I noticed though was that you some trouble with articulation. I listened a second time with headphones to make sure it wasn't just an artifact of the crappy T.V. speakers. There were a few times that I had trouble understanding what you were singing. Sometimes slurred or unclear lyrics are a tool used to create a certain effect, if that was your intent then disregard my observation. Otherwise, great job.

Thanks Illsidgus, I'm glad you like my voice. It means a lot to hear that feedback, seriously. I understand what you mean about the articulation, however--in a few instances, I do deliberately pronounce words with maybe a little less "clarity", but after listening to the cover again with a little more objectivity, I can see that there were in fact a few times that I may have used the effect a little too strongly, so thanks for pointing that out.

Back