dr who tardis sound

Twampy

Hi,
I am working on a song called Time and I have added a sample of the Dr who tardis landing sound. Does anybody know if it is copyrighted?

You can't copyright a sound, although you can copyright a song that contains the sound. And sampling ANYTHING without permission can potentially be shut down by legal writ. What are the odds anyone of importance who would care would ever hear your song?

I have heard that the sound is registered for copyright but I can't find confirmation of it. I get what your saying and probably not many people would hear it but you never know. However if it is just a sound and it can't be copyrighted unless it's in a song then I'm quids in lol.

I'd be pretty cautious of sampling that particular sound without permission given it's from a very well known and still active TV series... Ask the BBC, I'm sure they'll give you some direction! On the other hand it is a very cool sound... :)

I use the word "TARDIS" in one of my songs, but that's just a word so it will be OK.

The Tardis sound is the result of a process, so is perfectly protected. It's not a sound that exists naturally - it's a construction. So if you replicate it, so it sounds like the Tardis, and in the minds of the listener, is obviously the Tardis - then don't expect a Judge to find in your favour if you get sued. The process is fairly well documented - piano string scraped and reversed and then combined. Each new recording of it is subtly different, but all sound like the Tardis. Don't forget that copyright does not have to be 'registered', just proven.

Yes, I have contacted the BBC but I'll be surprised if I get an answer. I will probably keep a version for my own fun with the sound and make a public version without. I plan on a few spaces sounds throughout the track but they won't be samples. I'm sure I could do a synth tardis sound that would be close enough to get what I want without it sounding like keys dragged over piano strings.

It will have copyright as it's part of the soundtrack for a show that has copyright. They may however give you permission to use it.

Won't it be more fun to create your own sound?

Alan.

In any copyright/patent situation it depends whether the "injured" party has the time and the money to fight.

Since the Beeb have just flushed 100 million of OUR quids AND are up before the beak, maybe they have neither!

Dave.

Back