DR 670 w/ BR 1180

Benefits would include not having to use up any tracks for the drums on the recorder and also you don't have to commit to a single drum kit....i.e. you can make changes to the drums up until the final mix down to dial in a sound that goes well with all your other tracks combined...

So basically substituting the DR "instruments" for the BR's rhythm guide. But then I could not have the drums in stereo . . . or could I?

I use a DR-880 to record drum tracks on my PC's soundcard and I tend to compose a MIDI drum track in my sequencing program and then record a rough audio drum track, record the rest of the instruments, and then I can come back later and use the MIDI drum track to re-record the drums with a different kit if necessary, you'd be surprised how much of a difference using a different kit will make to the track.

But then I could not have the drums in stereo . . . or could I?

That depends on whether or not the 670 has stereo outs and the 1180 has stereo ins, surely they do, don't they?

Use a RCA stereo patch to the DR-670's R&L 'Line-Out' to the BR-1180's R&L 'Line-In, arm two tracks and record.

The BR-1180 drums will generate a MIDI clock if you use one of BR-1180's drum pattern. The DR-670's drums should receive on MIDI Ch 10, I have a DR-5 and it receives on Ch 10. Use a MIDI patch cord, with the above RCA patch cord config, and when you press play on the BR-1180, the DR-670 will start playing.

Valley Arts Kid,

About the stereo thing - I plug a DR770 into my BR-532 via the L&R RCA jacks on both units. The drums are in stereo. I haven't seen either of your units close up, but I imagine they work the same way.

Back