DR 670 drum machine

Hi,
Recently purchased the DR-670 and love it! It's got a lot of great sounds (50+ kicks, 50+ snares, 256 sampled drums in all).Plus some good sounding bass patches.
I was going to go the software/sample route, but having a dedicated drum machine is way more versatile. I midi out of Cubase into the dr-670, and audio from the 670 back into cubase through my staudio dsp2000, with great results. I also use it by itself as a metronome for practicing.And, when I have to go out of town to work, I pack it up with my trusty old fostex x-15 four-track, and can lay down tracks in my motel room. When I get home, I can load anything I like from the four-track into cubase, and edit to my hearts content.

Kevin

DR-670 - Blank patterns in songs??

Just got mine last night and went through the manual. I am very new to this stuff, having just 'mastered' (yeah right) my BR1600CD DAW. I wanted more drum sounds and an easier way to input them, so I bagged the 670. One thing I can't see how to do is input a BLANK (no drums) sound when building a song. It is weird moving from measure to measure, as it always wants to put a drum pattern in there. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but the only way I could see to do this is to create an 'empty' pattern and lay that into the measure where I want no drums to sound. This occurs at the beginning of my particular song, but could be anywhere in the song. Any comments??

Steve

Hi there,
I suppose you could either insert a blank pattern, or if you have to have a drum in the pattern, just set it's level to 0. I'm not sure which would work, let me know.

Kevin

I demo'd one about a year ago, but I found it too menu intensive. I am probably going to pick up an old Roland R-5 or R-8. I just don't like that 'press shift and button A, then, while continuing to hold shift, press button B.' The older Roland Rythm Composers were easier to work with, and the sounds are acceptable.

YMMV :cool:

Awww come on man, those things are easy to use! I have A Roland Dr Groove 202 and works much the same as the 670. What is it EXACTLY that you are trying to do?

Sheesh, I don't remember, Q!

I was a year ago, after all. I think I was trying to get into 'step writing' mode, or 'pattern writing' or something. I just remember having to jump through a bunch of submenus to get to where I wanted to go. When that happened, I didn't delve any deeper.

That's something I don't have to do with this baby....

Has a lot less memory, fewer kits, but, with a bit of tweaking, and a judicious use of 'verb, the sounds are excellent. It also has 4 separate outs in addition to the L-R outs.

Undoing on the DR-670

I was wondering if somone could help me. I just learned my DR-670, and was trying to figure out is if there is a way to undo what you had just did. For example, laying down the snare part, but I am off on the tempo but everything else is right. Is there just a way to undo the snare part?

When you play the part while the record button is on:

hold down the DELETE button and then the PAD of the snare track (button #14?) during the parts you want to delete.

For example, if you want to erase beat 4, hold down the delete button while the part is playing, and when beat 4 comes around, quickly press pad #14 during that beat.

I have a DR-770, but I'm sure it works the same.

77pro said:
Hi there,
I suppose you could either insert a blank pattern, or if you have to have a drum in the pattern, just set it's level to 0.

I wore out a 550 and currently use a 770 and love the sounds. They are a bit cumbersome but they are all I've ever used so I don't have the problem. :cool: Inserting a blank measure is the only way to go. Setting the volume level to zero doesn't erase it completely and you will hear it in the mix if you listen carefully. It doesn't matter if it's sharing an acapella vocal section but if you want SILENCE you will still hear the tick of the drum and be very disappointed. At least that has been my experience. Dave

Back