DR-40 XLR/TRS combo works with 3.5mm microphone?

yashiharu

going to purchase DR-40

does the bottom XLR/TRS combo works with 3.5mm microphone (with 1/8 to 1/4 adapter)?

so i can recording 2 lavalier microphone with DR-40

Yes will work, but you may have problem with unbalanced/balanced connection and experiment the helicopter noise some people report. There is a easy fix, just connect the mic to a cheap box that convert unbalanced to balanced, like Pyle-Pro PDC21. There will be a couple of extra wires but it will worth for the quality.

I use it for mic and guitar, without the box there is a weird noise that sounds like a helicopter. Tascam reports this problem as a non balanced connection on XLR/TRS and it is. :)

Yes will work, but you may have problem with unbalanced/balanced connection and experiment the helicopter noise some people report. There is a easy fix, just connect the mic to a cheap box that convert unbalanced to balanced, like Pyle-Pro PDC21. There will be a couple of extra wires but it will worth for the quality.

I use it for mic and guitar, without the box there is a weird noise that sounds like a helicopter. Tascam reports this problem as a non balanced connection on XLR/TRS and it is. :)

oh, good to know.

my input is comes from Sony ECM-AW4, i don't know if it's balanced or not. (i guess its designed fro DSLR, so may be unbalanced)

2 boxes are a bit too much for travel.

can a mini jack to XLR adapter solve the problem?
Comprehensive Mini Female to 3-Pin XLR Male Cable - XLRP-MJ-3ST
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RØDE-VXLR-3...sxp_f_r/280-6082474-5041602&tag=6519986691-21

is it a common problem on XLR/TRS combo with 3.5mm (unbalanced) inputs on all recorders?

Try first just with the adapter if you hear the noise you will need the box.

I don't know if this problem is common but happens for sure with DR-40. I also don't know about DR-60D.

Please, read this faq: Product: DR-40 | TASCAM

Back