DP02 and XLR inputs

rog999

Hello to All

As a new user of the DP02 I would be very grateful if someone can please confirm the ways in which the XLR inputs can be used on the DP02.

I have read through the manual but cannot find any explicit mention of what can and cant be used in the XLR balanced inputs besides a straight microphone connection.

1. What about a mic via a preamp.
I am planning to plug my SE2200A phantom powered condenser microphone into my Behringer mic200 pre amp and then use the XLR output from this and plug it into the XLR mic input on the DP02. I will leave the phantom power off on my DP02 as the preamp will provide phantom power to the mic . DOes that sound like a good idea so far?

2. I have an Ibanez AEG10E Electro Acoustic Guitar. This guitar has a fishman pickup and a pre amp built in. In addition to the usual guitar output it also has an XLR output. Can this go direct into an XLR input on the dp02?

3. I have a Line6 POD 2, this also has an XLR output would it be a good idea to use this output and plug it into the xlr input on the back of the DP02.

4. It is possible to plug a guitar or synth or anything else into the front of my MIC200 preamp and it has an XLR output wehich means it could go into the XLR input on the DP02, is this a good idea, am I gaining anything by doing things this way. I guess the guitar should be fine going into the guitar specific jack on the dp02.

AS I say the manual is not specific about whther these XLR inputs are only suitable for Mics or any xlr inputs. Maybe this is common knowledge to those that have used XLR connections before but I havnt .

4. I believe I know the answer to this one but I need it confirmed as I worry about damaging equipment. I have a wonderful Vox VT100 amplifier, this has a headphone output I am assuming this is safe to to take an output from the headphone jack in to the the guitar jack on the dp02.

5. Ok last question for now. am I right in thinking that I can increase the number of simultaneous XLR inputs but placing a mixer in front of the DP02. I know I wil still only be able to record two tracks at a time on the dp02. but it would mean I could use more mics at once.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Roger

Yo Rog! The XLR inputs on the DP02 are mic/line inputs, so all of that should work. If you turn the gain on channels 1 & 2 all the way down, they become line level inputs. However, the signal will still run through the Tascam's preamps, which will affect sound quality. How much? Only your ears can tell. There is only a point to using the Behringer if it is a significantly better preamp than the ones in the Tascam. So do it, and let your ears decide.

For the guitar, the XLR out is a mic level output, and the 1/4" is an unbalanced instrument output. There may be some advantage to using the XLR out, just because you will get a balanced signal, which may or may not decrease self noise. That will depend on whether the DI circuitry is better in the guitar, or the Tascam. Once again, only your ears can tell. Try it both ways. Finally, the mixer- It should work, again, with the Tascam's gain turned all the way down. You are correct that you'll only get two channels out from the Tascam, but it may be very helpful for doing drums, etc.

So- the basic answer is- all of the stuff you are talking about should work, and you are unlikely to damage anything. Whether it will sound better is unknown- Do you prefer cheap preamp A, or cheap preamp B, and how much impact is there from the fact that preamp A is running through preamp B? Unknown. Hook it up, and share your conclusions here.

My first guess is that when you do it, the two preamps will sound *different*, not *better*, and that you will prefer one or the other more as a matter of taste. It's like comparing a cheap Squier to a cheap Epiphone. Neither one is the real deal, but I bet you will prefer one over the other. My second guess is that you will prefer plugging straight into the Tascam, because it is a shorter, simpler signal chain. Fewer components and fewer connections usually means less noise. If you upgrade to a better preamp, the difference may be more noticeable. I assure you, when I plug an Avalon preamp into a Roland VS studio, it sounds better than the Roland by itself. The difference is huge. But- the Avalon is in a different ballpark than your Behringer. Let us know what you hear when you do it. Good luck-Richie

Last edited:
thanks for the info

Richard

Many thanks for your very clear response. The fact they are XLR mic/line makes it all a lot clearer. I am looking forward to experimenting with all the different combinations and will post my findings.

The Avalon preamps look stunning, I imagine they sound pretty damn good too.

As far as cheaper preamps are concerned anyone have any idea how the Behringer mic200 comapres to the ARt Tube MP studio v3 or are they very similar in quality as they are in price.

Roger

DP02 recording notes

Just thought I would share what worked best with my first few sessions with the DP02.

I tried a variety of inputs to see what worked best.

1. The Line6 POD. This was set up in a very simple fashion.
fender telecaster plugged into input of line6 POD 2.0. single (left output=mono) output from POD into line level jack (POD manual says to use line level jack noit guitar jack for best performance. Turn the levels down on the DP02 turn them up on the POD as high as you can without causing distortion.

Notes: Even though I was only taking a mono output from the POD the results were truely outstanding, great sounds.
We are two musicians so we both like to play together, as the DP02 can only record two inputs at a time it means I cannot take two outputs from the POD into the DP02 and record the POD in stereo.

2. The Ibanez AEG10E XLR output direct into the DP02 XLR, sounds top notch, very good indeed, highly recommended., This guitar has a very good reputation for its pre amp and XLR output and it is deserved in my opinion.

3. SE 2200A microphone
I first tried this direct into the DP02 XLR input and I have to say that along with other posters on various forums it seems to have a very low level and really noty loud enough. I then added the cheapo Behringer MIC200 with it set to VOCAL and the response was transformed much more volume and much better response. I will be using it like that for voice for sure, very pleased again.

4. The other set up which worked well was to have me playing acoustic guitar and singing using the single SE2200E mic while my partner played electric (Les Paul or Tele) through the Line6 POD. We got some great sounds using that combination.

5. SOmething I was very disapointed in was my VOX VT100 headphone output and Ih ave heard good things about this. It sounded very distant like it was being played in another room. I may have the reason for this already.
I was using minijack from the VOX headphone output to the guitar jack on the DP02. However the cable I was using had a mono minijack on one end and a mono jack on the other so I was probably only picking up one of the channels from the VOX this would account for it.

So, question. Can I use a cable with a stereo minijack at one end (for the stereo headphone output) and a mono jack at the other into the DP02. I know I wont get stereo into the DP02 because the DP02 inputs are mono, but will I get both channels from the Vox into the single channel on the DP02 ok using this cable.

One more similar cable question. If I am recording from a device that has two phono outputs, left and right stereo, can I get a cable which goes from two phonos into one mono jack, so that I get both channels but in mono at the jack.

All in all very, very pleased with the quality of recording the DP02 has given me so far.

All the Best

Roger

I think you guys probably have most of the bases covered, but I figured I would throw in a tiny nugget. The pre-amps on the DP-02 are pretty weak (compared to what they used to be like in older Portastudios). Keep that in mind if you are having additional problems.;)

thanks JJONES

Agreed the pre amp levels do seem to be quite low.

Using the MIC200 preamp for my Mic and the line6 POD for my guitar seems to solve this easily.

Roger

Back