dp 32 version 1.04

mikedp32

Hi just taken delivery of a dp32. Checking the software version it is at 1.04, there is no mention of this revision on the tascam website, anyone know what the changes from 1.03 are?
By the way my second portastudio, my first being a portastudio 144 some 30 years ago having come via akai DPS 12 and Roland 1680! First impressions very good, will give more detailed review soon.

Anxious to hear your opinion on the recorder. I am about ready to pull the trigger on the new DP 32 or the DP 24

Had the unit a week now so here are my thoughts.

Firstly v1.04 has no feature/function upgrades just allows for an auto standby feature.

Straightforward to use if you have previous digital multitrack recording experience, if not it might take you half a day to get your head round it but compared to my akai dps 12 and Roland 1680 it is very straightforward.

Tascam have kept it simple but at the price of flexibility ie: with the roland you had very good control over a lot of effects but with the Tascam to get the best from the unit you have to make some mixing decisions at the recording stage which obviously cannot be changed later, however the effects are very good quality and although a little limited, with a little planning the overall result is excellent. You can also connect an external effects unit to give additional flexibility.

A larger screen would have been nice but the colour and clarity is fine as long as you are working close up, if you are across the room with a foot pedal you might struggle.

No digital in/out but I guess with the internal cdrw it's not that much of a loss.

You cannot save mixer scenes which is something Tascam should address in a software update, however all mixer settings (pan eq effects etc) except levels are saved each time as song data.

The sd storage seems fine and quiet!

At the end of the day this unit produces very high quality recordings and a lot of tracks to play with, the operation is simple for such a powerful piece of kit. To make it perfect I would have liked a few more internal effects, mixer scene saving, a larger screen or video output but overall I love it and thank Tascam for keeping the faith.

Any questions please ask, I will do my best.

Thanks for that. I have been using a Yamaha 8-track mini-disk for many years with reasonable success. I am hoping the Tascam 32 or 24 (not sure yet) will yield a higher quality recording than the mini-disk. I already use an Alesis quadra-verb effects unit, a DBX stereo compressor and a Sony CD recorder. I am sure these units will find a place in the mix. (pun intended). Thanks again. keep us posted.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world of Tascam DP recording.
I've had my DP24 for a little over a year and I'm still loving it for my songwriting.

Here's my rig...

3StudioAllwood_zpscdf7399a.jpg

I check these forums every once in a while, so if you have any questions I'll try to help out too.

Enjoy your new Tascam!

Back