DP-24 New Thread

cwhowell2

17 pages is way too much to wade through, so here's a new DP-24 thread. I'll start out with my first major glitch. I had 4 tracks complete and added a bass line using input H with guitar selected. Sounded great. Then I decided to add an acoustic guitar track using a mic on input A with phantom power. About 3/4 of the way through. my prerecorded bass track started to crackle and drop out. It finally cut out completely and then the DP-24 froze up with a "File Error". I powered down and restarted - same symptom. So I erased the offending tracks and am starting over. Hoping it was a one time glitch. And yes, I am using a high speed class 10 SD card.
- Bill

Do you have OS version 1.02 installed ?
Yep - installed 1.02 as soon as it was released. The problem does seem to be an isolated occurrance. I deleted my tracks and started over again. So far I have 10 tracks recorded and no issues. I have a suspicion that I may have caused the error. Coming from a 2488, I have a tendancy to hit the stop-rewind button as soon as I finish recording a track. A couple times I hit it while the DP-24 was still writing the track to the SD card. From now on, I'll pay attention to the little spinning reel in the display.

I bet the 2288 NEO's are better !!
They both have positives and negatives. I miss the MIDI slave sync of the 2488. I've had to change my whole way of producing because of that. But there are many significant improvements, like using WAV format for internal recording. No more 20 minute conversion runs before the mix could be exported. Oh yeah, you don't even have to export any more. Just pop the SD card into your PC and copy the mixed WAV over to your PC for mastering and album production. And of course there's the thing about virtually unlimited storage space. Just pop in a new SD card and keep going. Just make sure you use at least Class-10 cards as anything lower can cause issues. (including the cheapo card shipped with the unit). I've been using PNY 4gb cards - $15 from Staples. - Bill

I am moving...and I just now found my of ADAT tapes (video cassette) and DAT tapes....oh and 200 unsold copies of my first cassette album......

I payed 2 grand for the ADAT plus 1k for the Mackie Board, $500 for the DAT machine....$3500 plus tax

I just paid $599 for my Tascam DP24........

They both have positives and negatives. I miss the MIDI slave sync of the 2488. I've had to change my whole way of producing because of that. But there are many significant improvements, like using WAV format for internal recording. No more 20 minute conversion runs before the mix could be exported. Oh yeah, you don't even have to export any more. Just pop the SD card into your PC and copy the mixed WAV over to your PC for mastering and album production. And of course there's the thing about virtually unlimited storage space. Just pop in a new SD card and keep going. Just make sure you use at least Class-10 cards as anything lower can cause issues. (including the cheapo card shipped with the unit). I've been using PNY 4gb cards - $15 from Staples. - Bill

OK then I should be able to easily sync up my drum machine via midi just like I do with the DP-02 right?

I'm looking for a card suitable for my new DP-24. Can't find an exact match to the ones listed at Tascam.com. Is any class 10 card appropriate? How about this - SanDisk - Ultra 16GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card? Or this - SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 UHS-I ? The first one is 30mb/s the second is 45mb/s.

I'm looking for a card suitable for my new DP-24. Can't find an exact match to the ones listed at Tascam.com. Is any class 10 card appropriate? How about this - SanDisk - Ultra 16GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card? Or this - SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 UHS-I ? The first one is 30mb/s the second is 45mb/s.

I've been using PNY 8gb Professional. (class 10). On sale for $15 at Staples. Have done several recording sessions with no problems. Had one glitch as mentioned above, but that turned out to be my own doing. It seems I hit rewind before the DP24 finished writing the recorded track to the SD card.

OK then I should be able to easily sync up my drum machine via midi just like I do with the DP-02 right?
Well sorta. The DP-24 does not support external clock sync (slave mode). So you have to use the DP-24 clock which will not recognize any tempo changes from your drum machine.

I tried the Ultra and it was fudgy.......Go with your second choice.......I use the EXTREME PRO SDHC Class 10 & it is lightening fast and reliable.

Second question .. Does anyone know the current rating of the phantom power supply? I don't see it in the manual. I have a CAD mic that draws 8ma and am looking to buy a few more. I'm sure it can handle the one, but don't want to risk loading it down with a few. I will run them through outboard preamps if needed.

Go to Micro Center and buy their generic card. Works a treat for me. Take your machine and go up to the customer service desk. They have a very liberal return policy too, worked great here. I took the machine to be sure, they set it up, and she fired up without a hitch.

Back