DP-24 - I love it (so far)

well, since I have been out of it for many years I thought a nice person would provide that to me in clear english. but no, you had to reply. thanks for your assistance.

I've used my DP24 a grand total of ONE DAY and I too have been "out of it" as you have, maybe longer! Maybe you're just more "out of it" than me...much of what's been discussed here (15 pages TOTAL) made complete sense to me after a single day of farting around with the unit. I recorded an entire song, 18 tracks, without a hitch. You'll get THIS machine or a cheap imitation of it and be dissappointed. Tascam rules, always has, and the attention (15 pages worth) paid to it is indicative of how important a machine it is. I bought it on the name recognition and the reputation of Tascam alone. I for one am glad there's a community like this to answer SPECIFIC questions about any model you end up choosing. Every single entry in this thread is addressing a specific problem or concern, there's nothing confusing about the information in this thread whatsoever. Google's your friend too. Is our English clear enough? I could understand every word of the last 15 pages, no offense meant. Peace.

Second day...I agree with the post that said basically get a new SD card, I couldn't even finish a song with the card included. I'm 2 days in and I can get the tracks down, assign effects, and I'm sending output to my Sony CD recorder for the short term. I'll have the mastering side down as soon as I can get a bigger SD card. I'm really happy with the overall quality of the machine as well as the tracks themselves. Amazing (if you have the ideas to support it).

I've used my DP24 a grand total of ONE DAY and I too have been "out of it" as you have, maybe longer! Maybe you're just more "out of it" than me...much of what's been discussed here (15 pages TOTAL) made complete sense to me after a single day of farting around with the unit. I recorded an entire song, 18 tracks, without a hitch. You'll get THIS machine or a cheap imitation of it and be dissappointed. Tascam rules, always has, and the attention (15 pages worth) paid to it is indicative of how important a machine it is. I bought it on the name recognition and the reputation of Tascam alone. I for one am glad there's a community like this to answer SPECIFIC questions about any model you end up choosing. Every single entry in this thread is addressing a specific problem or concern, there's nothing confusing about the information in this thread whatsoever. Google's your friend too. Is our English clear enough? I could understand every word of the last 15 pages, no offense meant. Peace.

I'm an old tape guy, 16 track for 20 plus years so the new things are different for me, always had Tascam products, and would stay with them, just for fun I bought and recieved the DP-24 this past Monday. looks good and it may take me a little bit to figure it out. I also went ahead a bought a bigger SD card up front thinking I would like more space.

I am looking forward to having fun again since I stop playing and singing years ago.

thanks

I just reviewed this posted forum and I could have sworn I saw someone post some quick tips short cuts document in here somewhere? has anyone seen it? and if so please let me know where I missed it. for the DP-24..

thanks..

Last edited:
I have a computer system at the moment. I use Cakewalk X1 producer with Foccusrite Saffire pro26 interface which has great preamps.

I bought a Zoom 16 track multitrack digital recorder a about 3 years ago but thought the sound was very poor quality. I play the accordion and it sounded really tinny compared to my computer set up.

Has anyone out there previously owned a Zoom but now own a Tascam DP 24?

I was wondering what the difference in quality was with the preamps etc if any?

If the quality is anywhere near what I can achieve with my computer set up I would go out and buy a Tascam right now for simplicity. I don't need complecated editing facilities. I am just looking for an end product of great quality sound.

just got my dp-24 today !!

Any advice on importing and exporting how many song fit on the card included?

I have a computer system at the moment. I use Cakewalk X1 producer with Foccusrite Saffire pro26 interface which has great preamps.

I bought a Zoom 16 track multitrack digital recorder a about 3 years ago but thought the sound was very poor quality. I play the accordion and it sounded really tinny compared to my computer set up.

Has anyone out there previously owned a Zoom but now own a Tascam DP 24?

I was wondering what the difference in quality was with the preamps etc if any?

If the quality is anywhere near what I can achieve with my computer set up I would go out and buy a Tascam right now for simplicity. I don't need complecated editing facilities. I am just looking for an end product of great quality sound.

I had the Zoom 24, was not happy......dp24 has nice sound. One thing though....I run from a makie 16 track mixer to the dp 24 then export to my computer using cakewalk X1 for mastering.

That's good to know.
What I was wondering was are the preamps pretty good on the Tascam or is everything you put into the Tascam preamp via Mackie mixer? I play accordion and getting the sound right is difficult. I have Cakewalk X1 which I could master from.

That's good to know.
What I was wondering was are the preamps pretty good on the Tascam or is everything you put into the Tascam preamp via Mackie mixer? I play accordion and getting the sound right is difficult. I have Cakewalk X1 which I could master from.

yeah the preamps are cool but I like having that extra sound coming analog.......

metronome sound???

any body know how to change the metronome sound in the dp24... that thing is driving me nuts. The sound is ear piercing and I hate it..........

Thanks James

I just reviewed this posted forum and I could have sworn I saw someone post some quick tips short cuts document in here somewhere? has anyone seen it? and if so please let me know where I missed it. for the DP-24..

thanks..
Download the manual. Chapter 2 is QuickStart. Now see, I'm not a dick after all!:guitar:

here is a big bummer.I record at 24 bit....48 move to a workstation and mix in cakewalk x1..........in order make a master mix down and use the cd burner on the unit the recording has to be 16 bit 41.........does not show up as a master mix down. I can transfer to a pc and the use the master file, that makes my cd burner useless on the unit..........Bummer.

Download the manual. Chapter 2 is QuickStart. Now see, I'm not a dick after all!:guitar:

ahh, I never thought you were, just a fellow musician.

thanks

by the way, I recieved my DP-24, I really like it, it is different for me since I used tape for 50 years, but I am getting used to it.

again thanks

Gary..

I have the DP24 and love it. I thought the 2488 and Neo were good but the features they had (drums/guitar, etc.) that were dropped from the DP24 I don't need since I have a Roland DR880 Drum/Guitar Effects box and a Fender GDEC-3 Thirty amp with plenty of guitar effects and configs. DP24... For what it does, it does very well. And it's fun and easy to use. It's not my first mixer but it is my first multi track recorder and I love the SD and CD features for "mix down" or "mix up" depending on how you look at things.

Regarding the FW update: The release notes say some issues with MTC have been fixed. Has anybody had success using the DP-24 as MTC master with a DAW acting as midi sequencer for a slave?
In case anyone is interested, I finally got a chance to try this out for a couple of hours and it seemed to be working fine after the FW update. Running Sonar on a laptop as an MTC slave. It takes 1 or 2 bars for Sonar to sync up, so I'd leave 4 bars blank at the top of the tune, but I could start the DP-24 anywhere in the song and Sonar would jump to the right location and stay in sync. There is a little bit of a delay, where Sonar lags the DP-24 by just a few ticks... barely noticeable, but it appears to be consistent throughout the song and you can compensate for it with a setting in Sonar if your timing needs to be tight.

Finally got reverb on vocal track but.....

Hey steve...
please help.
I finally figured out thanks to you how to get reverb on my vocals...
but alongside reverb is a horrible scratchy radio sound....
what happened to my clear mic??? what am i doing wrong???
so many thank you's in advance....
Joshua
x

Bill....

I got up to write my own review this morning after 2 weeks of owning the DP 24....so I will wait until my first project is completed.....I do not own a computer, and i want this as a one stop shop stand-alone...However, my first hiccup was I recorded my first song in 24 bit 48 HZ....The Manual doesn't state clearly you can't Master down to CD in this format, it does not convert it to 16 bit.....the wording was extremely iffy and I had to go to plan B....

Went to a friends house and connected USB to his computer....He was like nothing lines up...well all the WAV files in Music Folder seems to be every event you ever did on the tune....once we got the WAV file from Audio Depot folder we synched up fine.....So make sure that's where you get it from

The first SD card I bought was a basic SANDISK SDHC 16 G......well it worked for a day or so and then it dumped my file....Took it back and I couldn't find the listed SD cards at Best Buy....So I bought one that had similar specs.....SANDISK EXTREME PRO 8 GB (Class 10) and it works like a champ.....it's all about speed I guess....

I too was having no luck with the effects.....Press Select on a channel, go near the screen press Effect...your last effect will pop up Reverb, Delay, Chorus....you change between these 3 choices by Select (F3)...To use the library Sounds press (F2)....don't hit Guitar yet....when you find one you want press (F4) to turn it on....You change ratios by navigating through the Cursor Button....

Now Select MIXER....your track pops up....Navigate Cursor to INSERT EFFECT and dial it until it lights up, next Cursor to Send 1 and turn it from off to POST or PRE ( I use POST).....Swing your Green SEND Button TO DESIRED AMOUNT..... Then just make sure your Master Send is at a Desired number....(I go 127).....gotta have MASTER SEND turned up.....Even TASCAM didn't know that...........In and of itself if you do not have your SEND and MASTER send up and POST or PRE the INSERT EFFECTS don't work....I'm thinking they just think it's common knowledge...So at least for me this is how I get effects.........

you should now have effects to whatever channel you chose or will choose for Send 1....

Here is the key for Guitars, once you get in there you pick whatever you desire, but to navigate BACK to your REVERBS etc you gotta click SEND on (F1) where the Guitar button used to be....

Well that's how I do it....It took me 1/2 a day to figure it out cause the Manual is really veiled....

But the unit is intuitive and I am pleased with it.....

Hope I helped ya

I have a question for all owners of the tascam dp-24. I am a young solo artist getting ready to start home recording. I have writing many songs and i feel its time to actually record some of them and put out a small record. I would pretty much only be recording vocals and acoustic guitar(rarely some keys and percussion). My question is do you think i would get some decent(respectable) songs out of this. I will include the names of some recordings id like to emulate(atleast get close to sonically) below and hopefully you could tell me if this could do it or if i should look for something else. Additionally i would like to record the vocals and guitar at the same time(separate tracks ofcourse) and i was wondering if this could do it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Noah Gundersen - The Ocean
Noah Gundersen - Family
City and Colour - Sometimes(I Wish)

Back