DP 24 Effects, Dynamic and Send

sloan11

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I came here because I purchased a Tascam DP24 not too long ago, and I need a little bit of help.

I've been able to use all of the effects on-board, but my understanding is not complete. For example, I don't really know how to control the send effects. I typically just crank everything, and dial back a few knobs until I've attained the sound I'm after. Can someone please explain how the send effects works when you're using on-board effects? (why are there 2 effects knobs? 2 master knobs? How does the 'return' virtual knob factor in? pre? post?)

Part of the reason I want to get a better understanding is because I want to start using external effects, and I don't even know where to start. I would use the send for those too, right? Can I use effects in-line on a mic, the same way you would on an electric guitar going thru an amp? Whats the best way to utilize external effects on vocals and acoustic guitar?

I have more questions, but I don't want to make this post any murkier. Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I came here because I purchased a Tascam DP24 not too long ago, and I need a little bit of help.

I've been able to use all of the effects on-board, but my understanding is not complete. For example, I don't really know how to control the send effects. I typically just crank everything, and dial back a few knobs until I've attained the sound I'm after. Can someone please explain how the send effects works when you're using on-board effects? (why are there 2 effects knobs? 2 master knobs? How does the 'return' virtual knob factor in? pre? post?)

Part of the reason I want to get a better understanding is because I want to start using external effects, and I don't even know where to start. I would use the send for those too, right? Can I use effects in-line on a mic, the same way you would on an electric guitar going thru an amp? Whats the best way to utilize external effects on vocals and acoustic guitar?

I have more questions, but I don't want to make this post any murkier. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use the send for effects in-line on a mic. I would use the "guitar" effects option for that. You can only do one track at a time with that one. Whenever I want to put an effect on a vocal as I record it, that's what I use.

I'm going to break it out in a while, if I find I can answer any more of your questions while I have it in front of me, I'll do so. Freaking thing is addicting, isn't it?

If you want an example of using a "guitar" effect on a vocal instead of the send, here's something I recorded to kill time the other day. At several parts in the song I have a backup vocal that has the "chorus" effect on it. The first is on the the word "withdraw" about 20 seconds in. It sounds much fuller than the lead vocal.

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/twenty-seven/s-fY5so

Wow that sounds great. I haven't developed enough skill to produce a recorded sound anywhere near that good. Love the song and style, btw...

I have used the guitar effect for lots of different things. Sometimes I just want to use a reverb and and I don't want to introduce the hum that can accumulate from using guitar effects. Or I want to be able to set a reverb tone that I can apply to lots of different tracks. I'm going to continue to play around with it, though. Honestly, the effects should be the least of my concerns, seeing how much I struggle with mixdown, etc... If I can compose a concrete question I'll let you know.

I found some old threads on the site about the DP24's effects, I think they helped answer my original questions.

Yes, very addicting lol

Wow that sounds great. I haven't developed enough skill to produce a recorded sound anywhere near that good. Love the song and style, btw...

I have used the guitar effect for lots of different things. Sometimes I just want to use a reverb and and I don't want to introduce the hum that can accumulate from using guitar effects. Or I want to be able to set a reverb tone that I can apply to lots of different tracks. I'm going to continue to play around with it, though. Honestly, the effects should be the least of my concerns, seeing how much I struggle with mixdown, etc... If I can compose a concrete question I'll let you know.

I found some old threads on the site about the DP24's effects, I think they helped answer my original questions.

Yes, very addicting lol

Believe me, if I can do it, it doesn't take skill... just a little trial and error. I can the explain the reverb for you, I'll just need to get a couple photos of the screens you need to use and explain them. I'll do that in a bit.

Believe me, if I can do it, it doesn't take skill... just a little trial and error. I can the explain the reverb for you, I'll just need to get a couple photos of the screens you need to use and explain them. I'll do that in a bit.

Thanks! You are going above and beyond!

Reverb

No problem, happy to help. Now as for the reverb...

View attachment 88837

Start by hitting the MIXER button here to get to the EQ screen for whatever track(s) you want to add reverb to.

View attachment 88838

You want to adjust the number in SEND EFF 1. I don't know how to use two effects at once, but apparently it can be done. The more reverb you want, increase the number.

As far as SEND MASTER 1- you'll find that that number is constant throughout all the tracks (it will be whatever you set it to). You can set individual values (meaning different amounts of reverb) per track with SEND EFF 1. I never set the master and any one SEND EFF 1 set higher than 100 at the same time. It starts to sound a bit weird when you pile on the reverb. But experiment with them. It takes no time to adjust them and immediately hear the result. For this initial run, set both SEND EFF 1 and SEND MASTER to their maximums on whatever track you're experimenting with.

Now you go to this screen, which you find by pushing the EFFECT button on the first picture up there:

View attachment 88839

If you hit the SELECT button it will toggle between the three different effect that are available with the SEND command- Chorus, Delay and Reverb. Get to reverb. Those four variables with the numbers that you can adjust- set them all to something really high so you know that it worked when you hear it. Also make sure it's set to ON, of course.

And that's it. Push play and you'll hear the difference for whatever tracks that you entered SEND EFF 1 values for. Then you can go back and screw with all the numbers to determine what sounds good.

No problem, happy to help. Now as for the reverb...

View attachment 88837

Start by hitting the MIXER button here to get to the EQ screen for whatever track(s) you want to add reverb to.

View attachment 88838

You want to adjust the number in SEND EFF 1. I don't know how to use two effects at once, but apparently it can be done. The more reverb you want, increase the number.

As far as SEND MASTER 1- you'll find that that number is constant throughout all the tracks (it will be whatever you set it to). You can set individual values (meaning different amounts of reverb) per track with SEND EFF 1. I never set the master and any one SEND EFF 1 set higher than 100 at the same time. It starts to sound a bit weird when you pile on the reverb. But experiment with them. It takes no time to adjust them and immediately hear the result. For this initial run, set both SEND EFF 1 and SEND MASTER to their maximums on whatever track you're experimenting with.

Now you go to this screen, which you find by pushing the EFFECT button on the first picture up there:

View attachment 88839

If you hit the SELECT button it will toggle between the three different effect that are available with the SEND command- Chorus, Delay and Reverb. Get to reverb. Those four variables with the numbers that you can adjust- set them all to something really high so you know that it worked when you hear it. Also make sure it's set to ON, of course.

And that's it. Push play and you'll hear the difference for whatever tracks that you entered SEND EFF 1 values for. Then you can go back and screw with all the numbers to determine what sounds good.

Ok, great. That makes perfect sense. So much clearer than the manual...

What is the significance of the Pre/Post setting or the "insert effect" setting?

Ok, great. That makes perfect sense. So much clearer than the manual...

What is the significance of the Pre/Post setting or the "insert effect" setting?

Thanks for reminding me. You have to set it to either Pre or Post for it to work. I never learned any specifics about it, but I remember that whichever you choose (pre or post), keep it consistent throughout all the tracks. It sounded weird when I mixed them up. I use PRE. I can't remember if I really have a reason for which I use.

Thanks for reminding me. You have to set it to either Pre or Post for it to work. I never learned any specifics about it, but I remember that whichever you choose (pre or post), keep it consistent throughout all the tracks. It sounded weird when I mixed them up. I use PRE. I can't remember if I really have a reason for which I use.

Ok, I'll play around with it. Will let you know if I have any breakthroughs...

I missed your question about the "insert effect" setting... that's the "guitar" effect setting. It's one track at a time... you can either record the sound with the effect, or apply it to an existing sound in a track, but you can only do one at a time with it.

When I do the mixdown for a song, I put some reverb on it, like you just learned to do. I use the guitar effects most often for vocals... I usually record the lead with a little delay (which just causes a little echo), and chorus or delay for background vocals. Sometimes even the "amp" effect.

Ah, ok.. so you'll apply reverb 'after the fact'? As in, record a track without any effect, and go in and add the reverb later? That seems like a neat idea..

(I'll post a link shortly...)

This "ex post facto" reverb of which you speak is the only way to do it with a "send" effect on the DP24. As far as I know, anyway.

What I gave you directions for earlier only applies to "after the fact". You need to have something recorded in the track, then just change the SEND EFF1 number and hit play. You'll hear the changes instantly, but it doesn't permanently alter whatever sound you have in the track.

Now if you have a guitar effect applied, on REC (instead of PLAY), you will be recording a sound with that effect on it permanently. Common for compression.

So you won't hear the send effect on a track AS you record it, even if its turned all the way on? Guitar effects in the REC position can be heard as you play...

This is all starting to make sense..

Here are some links. These are old recordings. They are the only two that I have 'completed' and extracted from the DP24. Pay no mind to the songs' content; off the cuff sort of stuff...just to have something to practice on the recorder. There are some obvious problems, but I''ll let you hear for yourself.

https://soundcloud.com/sloan11/once-its-begun

https://soundcloud.com/sloan11/human-school

So you won't hear the send effect on a track AS you record it, even if its turned all the way on? Guitar effects in the REC position can be heard as you play...

This is all starting to make sense..

Here are some links. These are old recordings. They are the only two that I have 'completed' and extracted from the DP24. Pay no mind to the songs' content; off the cuff sort of stuff...just to have something to practice on the recorder. There are some obvious problems, but I''ll let you hear for yourself.

https://soundcloud.com/sloan11/once-its-begun

https://soundcloud.com/sloan11/human-school

You can probably hear the sounds as you play, but the send effect isn't being permanently etched into the track like when you REC with a guitar effect.

Those are nice songs, you certainly know what you're doing. I'll be asking you for the advice soon!

You can probably hear the sounds as you play, but the send effect isn't being permanently etched into the track like when you REC with a guitar effect.

Those are nice songs, you certainly know what you're doing. I'll be asking you for the advice soon!

I did two after getting home from the bar yesterday. What I lack in talent and execution I make up for in drunken inspiration! Sloppy Seconds and ALL songs, respectively.

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/cant-say/s-cIOWe

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/germany/s-4S1lX

I love it haha. Whatever it takes to get the ball rolling!

What other gear do you use to fill out your tunes? (drums, electric guitar, etc..)

Drums, bass and electric guitar. I'm not good at any of them, except maybe the bass. Your playing and singing suggest you've been doing this for a while. Anything professional?

Drums, bass and electric guitar. I'm not good at any of them, except maybe the bass. Your playing and singing suggest you've been doing this for a while. Anything professional?

Umm, no not really. I've written for and performed with some pro's, but I'm not at all professional in my own right. Far from it. A song I wrote for a local gal was released on her debut album earlier this year. Very small achievement that will go unnoticed to the rest of the world, but it meant a lot to me.

Back to my other question, I'm impressed. You sound really good for playing and recording all of those instruments. How do you get your electric guitar sound? Mic'd amp? Direct in the DP24? You could tell from that first song I posted with EG in it, I don't get a great sound. I need a new mic...

Back