DP-01 Levels - how to read

Wonderlick

Hey all, this may be a bit of a silly question - but I have the DP-01FX, and I've been trying to find some info on how to read the levels on the screen, with no luck as of yet.

It appears that there is a split in the middle of the bar - and I'm assuming that means that the center is clipping - but I could definitely be wrong about that. Perhaps there's a standard in reading level meters such as this, however, I'm new to the game, and I have not come across this information. I've recorded over center, and it doesn't sound like it's clipping, so I just want to make sure I'm recording at the proper level on this particular device.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and if anyone needs further clarification, let me know.

Thank you!

Daryl

Well shucks, I just realized that I do keep the OL light from coming on when recording - so I shouldn't be clipping.

I knew that they were junk meters, maybe I'll just accept that, ignore 'em, and move on! :)

The split-line in the VU meter LCD displays for inputs and each track represents "0VU" for the digital recording/track section, (A/D-D/A section). I don't believe you'd be clipping until you actually hit the very top of the "meter" and exceed it. However, this should be verified through testing & actual use.

The OL LED will give you indication whether you're overloading the analog section of the preamp/input circuit. Even just "tickling" the OL LED occasionally will not produce audible distortion, as the analog section of this device is a little more forgiving than the digital section.

:spank::eek:;)

Wow, thank you sir, that helps out a lot - I have done some experimentation with the unit, but my set up is rudimentary at best...

I know the ears are the final judge, but the instructions gave me the impression that any lighting of the OL LED is a negative - and seeing as I'll be adding on to my equipment (DAW, etc.) in time, I wanted to develop good habits early - so I do appreciate this info ReelPerson!

Daryl

I think...

I think the split-line on the LCD meter would represent a 0VU in an "analog sense", (follow me),... with some headroom allowed for over 0VU operation, but hitting the very top of the LCD meter would be 0dBfs, the very max the A/D section will handle without clipping, hard stop limit.

The A/D section to the recorded tracks will necessarily clip in an audibly harsher fashion than hitting the OL LED on the (analog) input section. Of course, lighting that LED is technically clipping the input preamp, but you'd really have to consistently light it up to get to a harsh feedback level. A very slight blinking of that LED will likely not cause audible distortion. With that being said, even with the quickest and most gently hitting of the 0dBfs limit on the recorded track might not produce any distortion that's audibly perceptible in the mix. Riding the top of the bar and hitting hard & consistently will of course produce horridly distorted sounding tracks.

You may, in the turnaround, find that recording the tracks with ample gain up to but not including hitting the very top of the LCD meter gives you a better and more rubust sounding (final mix) Master Track.

I've worked with the DP02cf. YMMV!/DA

Hey, thank you for the input - I have applied that way of thinking to my situation, and it has helped me get a better grasp on what I need to do - so I appreciate it greatly!

I'll tinker with these ideas (well, continue to do so) and hit this post up again when I apply some of the thoughts provided.

Daryl

Back