doubling for live performance

v6v6v6

i know this forum is about home recording but... how do bands replicate the doubling (or in some cases, tripling, etc.) effect on their recordings for live performance?

e.g. voice doubling

I won't say I know how, but I would guess they use some effects pedals, or rackmount effects that do chorusing and doubling. I have a digitech vocal pedal that is for live performances, and it has doubling on it, and chorus, and can be programmed to emulate a lot of stuff. I'm sure the bigger artist have access to much better stuff.

Most of the time, they don't. If you use a chorus/doubler on the vocals, it sounds like Ozzy.
Sometimes they use backing tracks, a tape playing in the background with all the other vocal, keyboard and guitar parts that the people on stage can't play. The drummer gets a click track in his monitors and the band follows him. It is a major tragedy if the drummer gets off the click.

dogman, i've played around with my digitech legend 2 for doubling on my acoustic and vocals. i'm probably not setting it correctly but it never seems to come out right. sounds very... digital, for lack of a better word.

farview, i'm assuming the click track is simply the mix with the parts you're playing live unmuted?

The click track is the metronome you played to when you recorded the parts in the first place. You would never be able to sync backing tracks that were not performed to a click.

Back