• My sound just doesn't cut it

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I'm not mixing it right

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • There is some X-factor at work

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
God, what I wouldnt give to have the next Randy Rhoades album. His tone was extremely clean at its dirtiest, really, especially in comparison with todays dirty guitar sounds. Yeah, they will sit better in a mix with less distortion.
One of the things I HATE about live bands around here.... They twist the mids all the way out, kick up the presence and the bass, turn the overdrive all the way saturated, and crank it up. Sure, it sounds great and heavy by itself, but when the band kicks in, they disapear. They always notice, and crank it up louder than the rest of the band. Headache central. They still can't be heard very well, their sound is too muddy and the bass guitar is kicking thier ass, since the guitar sound is all low and high end. The bass stomps the low end, and you're left with nothing but high end, which gets stomped by the cymbals and hats... sounds like shit. When I make suggestions, they scoff. Yet when they hear my band (if I even have one, not sure) they say "damn, you all sound way clear, how do you play with your guitar that low and still be heard?" And trust me, its still heavy and dirty, just not screwed up past the point of audibility.
Sorry for the rant on my 1,000th post.

I have had good results with recording a stereo pair of tracks and moving one of them just a very small amount back in the time line, about 1 or 2mls.You can add a little verb to the track you moved and keep the other dry and pan them to taste.Try compressing the further track some and raise the level,with the reverb on post and it will be fat and it will blend well with the dry track.The dry track will maintain it's dynamic range and all of the attack and chunck.

Monty,

Oh Yeah, another question, do the "Pros" actually pan HARD? or is it a soft thingy to get that center blend? I would hate to think how it would be to try to HARD pan two takes of Metallicas "blacked" or "Dyers eve"
Pros are split on the pan thing. But I'd guess that a tiny bit more hard pan than don't. A large chunk of very popular songs old and new are mixed using nothing but hard left, dead center, and hard right on all tracks. Do a Google search for LCR mixing.

And remember: When doubling/tripling/quadrupling guitars, center is always a valid mix position. Give some Muse a listen.

One trick I pull out constantly is to have a guitar hard left and hard right with a nice powerful sound and when I really want to hammer the "big section" I bring in a third guitar with a totally exaggerated distortion panned center. This center guitar is usually totally fuzzed out, plays something very basic, and stays on the lowest power chords possible. Sometimes it's not even a guitar. An analog keyboard playing a basic square or saw wave down low is an awesome substitute. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back