Double track vox, yeah or neh??

the dude

I usually double track my vox when I demo a tune because I think it makes the melody that much stronger. BUT, I have also heard people say that it sounds too over done. I, personally, love to double track lead vox. SO FULL and powerful. And when I double track, I try to get them to be exact. Every nuance of a syllable in every word. What do you think about double tracking vox? good or bad or just personal preference???

I am sure this has been discussed but I missed that one.
let me know your opinions and thanks!!! the dude abides

works for some singers really good. others it doesn't. Usually it doesn't work well for the "vocal stylists"--the ones who can't sing very good.

It can work two ways:

1 - it can give a weak voice some body and character - did Madonna EVER do a non-doubled vocal? ; and

2 - it can make an interesting effect if used sparingly - like one song on an album, or last verse and chorus, or on certain long syllables.

I'll usually track vocs about 3-5 times, mostly so I can crossfade if the best take still has some flaws in it - but that always leaves me the option of doubling in mixdown.

I wouldn't use it all the time for a good singer, unless they asked me to.

yeah, I am not the best singer by any means and IT DOES make my voice stronger, maybe that is why I keep going back to it. Also, for anyone having trouble doing this, I tend to go back and forth between the 2 lead vox tracks and record one then the other, then re-record the first then the second again and again and again,. Soon enough they are like butter!!! smoooooth as glass!!!!

It sounds good on the chorus. It also sounds good when the second track is lower in volume... just enough to where its hard to distinguish the 2 of them apart.

Yo Dude:

A great deal depends on your gear. I remember the old 488 Tascam I had -- a good box -- I put vox on two tracks with that unit often.

As mentioned by the others, the talent's voice makes a difference too. If you record someone who has stage and work experience and a trained voice, you can get away with one track unless you're after some special effect.

I like to listen to the old recordings of Sinatra and catch every single syllable from the man, so clear. Oh, yeah, he had some good mics too and great orchestrations -- but he sure had talent.
Mel Torme is another dude to listen to for clear and articulate vocals.

A decent mic pre will also make a one track vox good. When I got up to my 2816, I just use one track for vox most of the time.

But, I've always like to experiment with the vox: add delay, take it away; add stage reverb for presence, etc.

It is really nice to get a good cut after putting in the work.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

:D :p :D

Thanks guys!!! I know that experimenting is the best bet and form there it is personal preference, but I appreciate anything you have to offer!!! thanks!! and smoke em if you got em!!

My drummer and I both sing in our recordings. Neither of us have great voices but we can carry tune and do a pretty good job of writing melody.

I love double tracking stuff, I am luck as I have very good pitch and usually duplicate my parts pretty flawlessly.

My drummer hates having his shit doubled. He said it sounds like there is two of him...he has a knack for pointing out the obvious.

I have no point.

Twonky

i double track my vocals on some songs and on some i don't.

i usually prefer a mono vocal track with a 25ms delay on the left or right output...just make sure to avoid cancelation.

Last edited:
i have problems double-tracking.

generally my performances are exactly the same both times though, but all double-tracking seems to do is introduce a slight phasey weird sound. doesn't thicken anything up at all.

on the other hand, i've double-tracked OTHER people's voices quite successfully, even ones with far worse pitch and timing problems than me.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT FELLAS. I appreciate it and think I got the info I was asking for. Have a good one~!!!

I do it on a case by case basis. If I think there's something lacking in the lead vocal then I might try doubling.

Sometimes I have done alternate vocals and found 'by accident' that they sound good using both together.

One tip would be to listen carefully to the vocals of the type of artists to admire or try to emulate and see what they do. You may find it varies for the pro's too.

Sometimes it can sound phoney.

my 2 cents (based on my very limited experience)...

i'm going to go with no - don't double track them...although i guess it depends on what type of music, the singer, what you're going for, etc.

most singers aren't good enough to do it well enough that it will sound cool. like someone else said, its good every once in a while as an effect, but don't over do it. it sounds cheesy to me.

i guess i like a more "straight forward" traditional type rock sound.

Double tracking is a very "retro" idea. That's why I love it. My favorite sounds are late 60's and 70's classic rock like the Who, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, etc.
All of whom double track vox, and it sounds incredibly cool.
A great vocalist with exceptional control and improvised nuances like Don Henley is best single tracked.
Another thing which sounds great for thickening a vocal is to put the same vocal take on two tracks. Throw a light stereo chorus on one and lower the volume until it's just audible underneath your main vocal track.

http://www.mountainmirrors.com

I think a vocal can sound more intimate and personal when it's not doubled, but sometimes doubling a vocal is just what the doctor ordered. Elliot Smith is a great example of the Beatles school of doubled vox.

meriphew said:
I think a vocal can sound more intimate and personal when it's not doubled, but sometimes doubling a vocal is just what the doctor ordered. Elliot Smith is a great example of the Beatles school of doubled vox.

i really wonder what mr elliot smith wants to hide.
he kind of overdid the whole double tracking thing.

i like to double vocals only in special lines or in some parts of the chorus or something like that, depending on the song or the band

sometimes a double voice with a little delay is awesome

Back