Double glass window question

j0nas

Where should the thickest glass go? I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the thickest glass should be at the control room side. Is this correct? I'd have though it would be the other way around due to louder sound levels in the live room. The glass is 8 mm (~1/3") respectively 6 mm (~1/4") thick.

The double glass window separates the control room and the live room (which is small... for drums basicallay).

Thanks,
Jonas

The glass mass should match or exceed the leaf mass and glass is three times as dense as gypsum boars. So if you have two layers of 5/8 inch gypsum board on the control room side and a layer of 5/8 inch and a layer of 1/2 inch on the recording room side then the glass should be 3/8 on the recording side and 7/16th or 1/2 on the control room side.

It is generally preferable that the two sides NOT be the same thickness even if the leafs are of identical thickness...actually it is preferable that the leafs not be identical either.

Thanks for your reply Innovations.

I use double layer gypsum on both sides (same thickness). I was just curious why the control side should have the thickest glass... Maybe it doesn't matter on which side I install the thickest window glass when both walls are symmetric.

j0nas said:
Thanks for your reply Innovations.

I use double layer gypsum on both sides (same thickness). I was just curious why the control side should have the thickest glass... Maybe it doesn't matter on which side I install the thickest window glass when both walls are symmetric.
Yes, if the walls are symmetric then it doesn't matter, but the glass ideally should not be the same thickness on both panes. The reason is simple. A large sheet like that is going to have a resonant frequency, Two sheets of the same size and thickness will have the same resonant frequency, making it real easy for that frequency to be transmitted.

Innovations said:
Yes, if the walls are symmetric then it doesn't matter, but the glass ideally should not be the same thickness on both panes. The reason is simple. A large sheet like that is going to have a resonant frequency, Two sheets of the same size and thickness will have the same resonant frequency, making it real easy for that frequency to be transmitted.
Thanks.

I knew about the problem with resonant frequency. That's why I use different glass thicknesses (8 and 6 mm).

I probably put the thicker window on the live-room side.

Again, thanks for your replies.

/Jonas

Back