Double Fat Strat conversion opinions?

Unsprung

I'm buying a Fender Standard Stratocaster (Electron Blue/rosewood) that I'm going to convert to a Double Fat Strat. I've ordered a white/black/white pickguard that doesn't have any holes for the pots, which is one question I'll ask toward this conversion. I'm planning to use Fender Atomic Humbucker pickups, and my first question is, since the Atomics are available in black or white (bobbins), which color choice should I go with, given that I sticking with a white pickguard/back plate/knobs, rather than getting black ones which is what the last run (2007) of Standard Stratocaster HHs used? My second question is about the controls, given the choices available with the pickguard I've ordered. Should I go with a typical 1 Volume and 2 Tone configuration, or might I go with 1 Volume and 1 Tone? I'll be swapping the 5 position switch for a 3 position switch, as well as using 500K pots for whichever Volume/Tone configuration I ultimately go with. Lastly, toward more tone shaping options via coil tapping using a push pot in the Tone position(s), might I tap just the bridge humbucker, or should I just tap both of them? If I coil tap both humbuckers, I'll go with the typical Volume/Tone/Tone control configuration.

The Fender Atomic Humbucker pickups I've chosen because my Fender FSR Straight Six Stratocaster has an Atomic Humbucker (single pickup at the bridge), which has kick ass tone for a single pickup, Volume control (500K pot) only Strat. I'll be using my Straight Six Strat and So Cal Speed Shop Strat for some original surf/hot rod instrumental lead creations. I'll be using my Double Fat Strat for rhythm with the Straight Six Strat, and my Bass VI (with capo) for rhythm with the So Cal Speed Shop Strat (that's drop tuned C - C). Of course things would've been easier, if I'd just buy a Stratocaster HH (used, since they're out of production), but at least I'm not going to be the only person that's ever converted a Stratocaster SSS into a Stratocaster HH.

Of course I'm only seeking some opinions as to the finer specifics of this conversion, since I'm already committed for having already ordered a Standard Stratocaster. Had I just bought a factory made Stratocaster HH, I would've been happy with it, but since I am doing a conversion instead, I want to make sure I get just the right "bells and whistles" from it.

Matt

Back