Double bass tips

I am Pretty whicked on the Double Bass as I learned Drums useing a Double Bass and One thing I did that really Helped me with my Double Bass was Practiceing Drumming but only useing your Left Foot for the Bass Drum and not useing the Right Foot ,Enough Practiceing this way will make your feet Ambedexterous which really helps with getting Fast and accurate Double Bass...

Also try Doing Beats that require you to go back and Forth on Both Feet while your High hat Hand goes at Half speed...This will Train your Feet to go Twice as Fast as your Hands....

Also try doing Double Bass Beats useing just your Feet and Snare and forget about useing the High Hat and Ride and once you get that down you can start incorporateing your high hat and Ride Hand into the Beats.....

And the Most Important thing to do is "Practice Practice Practice"!!!

Cheers

PS: sorry i do not know of any Double Bass Training DVD"s as I am self tought...

There are a lot of useful "Double Bass Technique" books and videos. I can't name any off hand, but I'm sure a few minutes on Google will provide ample results.

Like Minion so boldly stated, practice using your left foot instead of your right, or vice-versa, depending on your "main" side. I have done that with my hi hat technique. I'll play my hi hat (left side) beat with my left hand only, and move my ride so I can use it with my left also. It really does improve the response of your weaker side.

their is a video out that i have, its a funk/double bass drumming video, and its really good, Warner brothers made it i think, its pretty old kinda

Can you give us an idea of the style you wanna use the double kick for?

Some people wanna go as fast as they can continuously, which I admit is very fun when jamming and making noise, but is something I always avoid in songs because it lacks musicality.

Try playing some rhythms which use half and double speed.
eg.
HH|x---x---x---x---|x---x---x---x---|
Sn|--------o-------|--------o-------|
BD|ooooooooo-o-o-o-|ooooo-o-ooooo-o-|

And do some rudiments on kick!
eg. paradiddles:
HH|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
Sn|----o---o---o---|
BD|RlrrLrllRlrrLrll|

Start off these VERY slowly, and occasionally jump up in speed (small jump). Try not to gradually speed up, so you make sure your timing's perfect.

Simon Phillips...............there's a few different ones

Terry Bozzio........there's also a few

oh yeah & practice

Back