double bass pedal and hi-hat technique

monster

i know this is all stupid but how do you manage to double bass while playing on a closed hat? is there a way to set it closed and pedal to open? set me straight on double pass pedal + hi-hat technique. and do i need to buy a new hi-hat stand if i go to double bass? i currently have older dw 500 with 3 legs. thanks.......

monster said:
i know this is all stupid but how do you manage to double bass while playing on a closed hat? is there a way to set it closed and pedal to open? set me straight on double pass pedal + hi-hat technique. and do i need to buy a new hi-hat stand if i go to double bass? i currently have older dw 500 with 3 legs. thanks.......

Hi monster,

1st - you can get a quick clutch for your high hat - you tap it with your stick and it drops - locks back in when you push the high hat pedal down again.

The advantage to that is it frees your foot for the bass pedal - the disadvantage is that the hats only seat the same as if the clutch isn't tightened - so it's a fairly loose hat sound.

Another option is to go to a 2nd set of high hats...... I actually have this although mine is a remote - so i really have a 3 pedal set up for my right foot (I'm left handed). But you can get just a lock down for this - and then set up a different set of hats - completely different sound if you want - and play that set for the closed down sound.

I don't like to do that (which is why i purchased the remote system)- I play the bass pedal off my toe and work the high hat with my heel at the same time - but that does take some practice to get used to. I never use the remote and 2nd bass pedal at the same time - I just have the remote for a totally different hight hat sound for some songs.

A 3 leg stand will work if you can rotate the legs to create a space for the bass pedal - if not - then it is one heck of a bear.........

It's much easier with the newer 2 leg high hat stands - might be worth your while to look at them.

I use a 3 leg - but it's a Pearl and the legs do rotate.

I hope this helped you a bit

Good luck,

Rod

Re: Re: double bass pedal and hi-hat technique

Rod Gervais said:
I play the bass pedal off my toe and work the high hat with my heel at the same time - but that does take some practice to get used to.

I do a similar thing, but I play the kick pedal with my heel and the hihat with my toe

thanks Rod. i've seen clutches before I guess I just didn't really think about it. Can you get heavier clutches for a more closed sound? a second hi-hat seems one step beyond me at this point........i'm not sure if my legs rotate or not???? i'll have to mess around with them....

as a semi-related question who matches the feel of their hi-hat pedal with the feel of their bass pedal?

monster said:
thanks Rod. i've seen clutches before I guess I just didn't really think about it. Can you get heavier clutches for a more closed sound? a second hi-hat seems one step beyond me at this point........i'm not sure if my legs rotate or not???? i'll have to mess around with them....

as a semi-related question who matches the feel of their hi-hat pedal with the feel of their bass pedal?

Monster,

I've never seen weighted clutches.

I use a lighter touch on the high hat than the bass pedal.

Bulls,

I thried that when i 1st began playing the double pedal - but because i play off the toe on my primary bass pedal - the other just seemed to feel more natural to me.

But in the end of it all - there is no right or wrong way - whatever works - works.

Experiment with it Monster, if you are able to develope playing them both at the same time you get a lot more out of it.

Sincerely,

Rod

You just have to experiment until you find something comfortable for you. I have used the toe on the hat and heel on the kick. And that works for the most part, but it was uncomfortable at first. You also can try something I picked up from Carter, he plays the hi hat in a steady 8th or 16th pattern with his foot, and swaps halfway over to hit the kick at strategic times, all while riding on the bell. Its cool, but takes lots of practice.

Maypex actually makes a combo hi-hat / bass pedal - i pedal and you switch it while you play -

didn't do me anygood because it's RH only - but it was an interesting piece none the less.

That would make what Jblount describes a wee bit easier.

Rod

The janus by mapex is a really cool invention, although, when switching your foot at 16th notes at 120bpm, it is impossible to use. It is cool for the occasional swap to double foot and ride technique maybe through an entire chorus. It helps the transition also if you adjust your kick pedal and hi hat pedal to the same height. I found that is you are using the heel on the kick though, you might want to put the hi hat pedal lower. Just try different things til you come up with something that works for you.

I got sick and tired of using the drop-clutch, I haven't been impressed with the "ease of use" of the Mapex contraption, I abhor that "one foot double bass pedal wonder", so I came up with a much simpler solution. I use another pair of hi-hats on a cymbal stand in a fixed position. Since they are only going to be used in closed position, they don't have to be good hats. I use a pair of ZBT's for this (they're cheap). I so seldom use hi-hat when I play a double kick pattern, that this was the easiest and cheapest solution.
I tend to play the hi-hats a lot and I have several really great hi-hats, so this way once I get into a groove, I don't have to worry about all those damn adjustments, I just move to the "fixed" hats for those times and then it's back to the good hats on the sock pedal.

Back