dorm room treatment

zipline7020

So I will be recording in my dorm room, which means i cant put up anything permanent.

what can I do for some kind of sound treatment to make recording guitars and vocals a little more professional and good sounding?

For guitars, you can keep it all in the box with a DI connection and amp sim of some sort. Personally, I use the digitech stuff. RP150, BP255.

For vocals, you can use a dynamic mic and get up close to it so you're not capturing much of the room. Condenser mics will pick up your next door neighbor turning the pages to study while he's listening to you moaning out a song. :p

You could also build a couple of 2'x4'x4" bass traps that you can use to make a moveable wall in front of the mic and shove into a corner or under the bed when not in use.

You could also build a couple of 2'x4'x4" bass traps that you can use to make a moveable wall in front of the mic and shove into a corner or under the bed when not in use.

I've been thinking about using a few 244s for that purpose when I'm not mixing.

How would you place it to record an acoustic? In front of yourself and the mic, or behind us (that is, the mic and I :facepalm:) ?

I've been thinking about using a few 244s for that purpose when I'm not mixing.

How would you place it to record an acoustic? In front of yourself and the mic, or behind us (that is, the mic and I :facepalm:) ?

Would depend on the room set up, but most likely in front of you (in a wide 'V') to stop the direct soundwaves from the acoustic from bouncing off of walls in front of you, then bouncing around the side and rear walls and getting picked up by the mic.

Would depend on the room set up, but most likely in front of you (in a wide 'V') to stop the direct soundwaves from the acoustic from bouncing off of walls in front of you, then bouncing around the side and rear walls and getting picked up by the mic.

Cool, I'll try that when the 244s arrive. Thanks man.

Cool, I'll try that when the 244s arrive. Thanks man.

This is what I do. Seems to work out as well as anything else. These are also movable, I hang them up like a picture.

Awesome, can't wait to try that.

EDIT: btw I've been listening to some of your stuff and it is just up my alley. Great stuff!

Back