Don't think I am getting it

I-AM

Hello All,

I have been apart of this site for a long time, and I have grown quite a bit by reading numerous posts on recording techniques and etc. However, when it comes down to my final mixes, I feel that they lack a certain "full" quality and are just not cutting it at all. Not to mention me trying to somewhat master or polish up a mix using waveburner is like...well let's not even go there -lol. Most of this is probably partly due to me focusing more on the musical/playing instruments side than the actual mixing/recording side of things.
I am currently using Logic Pro 7, a Tascam FW1884, intel iMac, and Reason 3. Generally speaking, I try to compose R&B/Hip Hop music and there are no vocals (another headache!) in these tunes. So, please dissect my tracks and tell me what I should keep doing mixing wise and what I should wipe my ass with. Any and all comments welcome.

My music website:
http://www.myspace.com/theanalystmusic

I listened to a couple songs on your myspace. They sound fine. Honestly, doing a good job of playing the instruments and getting good tone from them in the first place is the bulk of your work. If you're starting with good tone, you shouldn't need to do much in the mix.

That being said, your songs are a bit long and repetitive. I'd cut them down to just one or two verses and choruses until you get lyrics (assuming that's your intention).

Thanks for the critique Vomit...I will definately cut the instrumentals down a bit...I guess my concern is that I hear all of the great music other users on here post and somehow I wonder why my tracks tend to not sound as "phat" or full. More than likely it is a post-compression/eq issue. However, I was wondering if my process was...lacking when it comes to recording and etc. Although I am making R&B/Hip Hop/Alternative stuff, I always try to do a fair amount of compression on each individual track within reason or logic (i.e. drums, bass, and other instruments) and lastly apply a gentle compression over the entire mix. Not really doing any "home" mastering right now - just normalize the file and post on the web. However maybe I should investigate some nifty tricks that I can do within waveburner that give a smidget more of a spit shine to my tracks.

Back