Don't settle for imitations??

Jack Hammer

1176...This is a familiar sequence of numbers. Notably, it is the model for the current Universal Audio limiter that was originally manufactured, i believe, by Urei. That said, today, of course, one can purchase a brand spanking new box from Universal Audio for a reasonable price and have the sounds so often used and sought after.

But there are many knockoffs to consider and the questions is, should one actually consider these. Further, should one even hold out for an original Urei model?

For instance, Purple...This company makes an avowed 1176 knock-off. It seems to me that it is actualy more expensive than the official version.

Also, Studio Electronics makes a stereo knock-off of the 1176 that incorporates elements of the predecessor to the 1176 which, according to Studio Electronics, is better than the official reissue (big surprise there).

So, exactly what is the take on this. Are the differences real or are they appealing to our sense of ego that compels us to purchase these pieces of gear as if they were an extension of our personality rather than simply something to create our art with. In the creative process, in the final result, will it matter at all whether the limiter used was manufactured by UA, Purple or SE? What then should the criteria be for a prospective purchaser or, is it simply a matter of purchasing the "orginal" or "real thing". The mere existence of knock-offs suggests an axiom that usually guides me and that is this: The mere existence of knock-offs indicates that the original is held in high esteem and that the "orginal" has been validated as the best design or incarnation and the one to beat.

What are your thoughts on this subject.

Oh, and by the way, usually, the knock-off is less expensive and therefore it provides a way for those that cannot afford the original to get in the act. In this case, however, the Purple issue is, apparently MORE expensive whereas the Studio Electronics version is less expensive by virtue of the fact that it is stereo. Go figure!

Haven't heard the Studio Electronics.

Both the reissue and Purple are great!. Go with the Purple is you want a "modernized" 1176 in "sound", most noticeable is the frequency response. The reissue keeps to the original "vintage sound".

If all else fails, choose by the face color. :D

The thing that turns me off to an actual original is that you really don't know the "sound" you're buying unless you're able to try it out first...

I want one... Probably going with the reissue when I do get one... OK, so anyone want to swap me for a tube mic and parametric EQ?

Recording Engineer said:

The thing that turns me off to an actual original is that you really don't know the "sound" you're buying unless you're able to try it out first...

That is sooooo true. Trying certain things out is almost imposible though.. Wish I would have tried the Alesis 3630 out before I bought it... :rolleyes:

http://www.studioelectronics.com/index.php

Just studioelectronics.com will do. By the way, this is the company that makes analogue synths. On their site they have testimonials somewhat bashing instruments like the Nord lead and the Virus C (I assume b also). In my opinion though, those instruments are just fine. Yes, I would imagine that a true analgue hsa a differeint sound but that in no way takes away from virtual analogue instruments.

This has kind of turned m off to the company a bit. That and the fact that their site is a bit campy. They may very well make a very good product and their compressor may very well be quite good too but I do not see the reason for bashing other well liked products to sell yours. If their is good and worthy, it should stand on its own and not be dependant on comparisons with something else. In other words, is it good just because it is, in their opinion, a better version of something else. Or is it good because it is inherently a good piece of gear.

In the end, all of the sales hype is just that. For me, as a musician that is now recording his own material due to the DAW revolution. I need to learn to work the gear that I have very well. My studio is capable of great sound, it is my goal to now match that sound with great music and then I will have something. So, here's to great music, great sound and, as i write this, bombs over Baghdad.

Back