Don't kill me, i'm not asking for these for mixing purposes

MrWrenchey

Even though it's in Mixing Techniques.
It's imperative that someone on here inform me of the most generally accepted frequencies that are considered "brilliant" and frequencies that would mask those, making it "dull."
For example, I know a brilliant sound is related to higher frequencies (I believe somewhere over 10kHz), and dull is usually a deficiency of those frequencies (but I'm sure there's a way of saying that something dull due to an excess of a different frequency... Like 200Hz or something).
If you'll be so kind as to inform me of what most people consider those frequencies to be, I'll inform you of why I need them. Because I have fun ideas that require me to know what those two terms are associated with frequency wise.

EDIT:
Shoot, I wanted the original post to be all caps to further my point... Because Caps lock makes everyone look smarter, right?

Even though it's in Mixing Techniques.
It's imperative that someone on here inform me of the most generally accepted frequencies that are considered "brilliant" and frequencies that would mask those, making it "dull."
For example, I know a brilliant sound is related to higher frequencies (I believe somewhere over 10kHz), and dull is usually a deficiency of those frequencies (but I'm sure there's a way of saying that something dull due to an excess of a different frequency... Like 200Hz or something).
If you'll be so kind as to inform me of what most people consider those frequencies to be, I'll inform you of why I need them. Because I have fun ideas that require me to know what those two terms are associated with frequency wise.

EDIT:
Shoot, I wanted the original post to be all caps to further my point... Because Caps lock makes everyone look smarter, right?

I believe there is no such frequency that will make a song sound nicer.

It all depends on the type of music you're producing. If you're making dubstep, a lot of bass would sound nice, but that definately would not be true for acoustic music.

The instrument you are trying to mix will influence how you will want to equalize it. You want more bass in a bass drum for that heavy solid sound, but that would not be true for flute solos.

Normally when I make rock music, I reduce the bass just a little and increase the mid-high and high frequencies.

With the bass, I'll make a little curve at around 45Hz.

Ill create a little hill shaped thing starting at around 2KHz and make it peak at about 12KHz.

After 12KHz it'll generally be flat or maybe just a tiny downward curve.

I feel like you didn't read my post at all...
I'm basically asking for what people say on those crappy EQ cheat sheets is considered the "brilliance" frequency, and what makes a sound "dull."
I'm not asking for mixing/finding out what makes a song nicer/relative levels of bass or treble in a song. It's not for mixing, it's for something I'm designing visually. And it's NOT another EQ Cheat sheet. xD

Alright, I'm still not clear on what you're exactly asking for but here is a link that might be useful

Brilliance — The 6kHz to 16kHz range controls the brilliance and clarity of sounds. Too much emphasis in this range, however, can produce sibilance on the vocals.

I dont know if thats what you're looking for

PERFECT! That's the first half I was looking for!
Now if you know what the generally accepted frequencies for "dullness" are, I'll PM you my visual arts idea... Basically, I just need to know these general terms for this picture I'm making.

Here, I found a bit more concise link

EQ tips Cheat Sheet by fredv - Cheatography.com

200Hz - Slight boost for depth. Cut to reduce muddiness. This is a good area to get the "*gon*g" out of cymbals.
120Hz - Add for warmth. Too much will sound muddy

They refer to it as muddiness, but I think it will be similar

Fantastic. Thank you, sir. You've been a great help.
When I finish this design, I'll send it to you so you're aware of the terrible jokes you've helped me write.

Back