Dongles - why do they bother?

Not everyone can break into a car and steal it, however, everyone can download cracked software. You don't really even have to try. And that is why I don't get dongles. They only hurt the paying people.

Not a single app I use came with a dongle. I cannot loose them, I have all my ports free for useful stuff, I don't have to register anything. Fine for me. You can do the same, just choose your software to behave as you want it.

I work for a company that develops a great deal of it's own software...the high end stuff we ship with a hardware dongle. Plugs into a parallel port and authenticates the software licence. The dongle is double sided meaning that the parallel port can still be used for other purposes or even additional dongles for additional software packages. The software and the hard dongle go together and don't work when separated. Inside the dongle is a simple little memory module hardcoded with the licence key. For the life of me I don't know why these software companys don't go that route. The dongle cost pennies to make.

OK...I'm done now :)

Plugs into a parallel port and authenticates the software licence.

Great! My last pc doesn't have a parallel port and doesn't have a floppy. And I don't think there are parallel ports on pci-e either. Now what? And those Hasp keys are fragile. We had one blow up due to static at the office, 4 working days lost because the soft was out of use.

I'm just sayin...that the software companys "could" do more if they were all that worked up about it. I don't really care either way...We've developed USB versions as well but you've gotta get this weird looking little USB hub that let you screw/secure the USB dongle.

I just love saying dongle; :D

dongle dongle dongle dongle

fraserhutch said:
You don't like using dongles? Vote with your pocketbook and don't buy the software.

I did, Cakewalk.

You can find Sonar cracks all over. But they have an ever growing customer base and their support is really good, especially when compared to a pathetic company (as in cusotmer support) like Steinberg.

Dongles don't do a damn bit of good but maybe slow down friends turning frineds on to the software. I know people who use cracks (like Waves) and own the software becasue of crappy things they pull on good paying customers. Recording forums are full of unhappy "PAYING" customers.

I've used dongles for many years in the CAD EDA world and I have lost countless man hours f**king with their problems. Maybe the recording guys have it down better but as long as I have options I will choose the path of not taking the risk.

Back