Dolby Digital

Are you asking about surround sound?

Recording for surround means you mixdown to 5-7 tracks depending on the format. It doesn't really matter what you use as long as you can accomodate that. The hard/expensive part is getting it mastered for surround.

Vegas, Cubase SX and I think the new ProTools will do internal surround mixing but you still have to get it mastered to DVD or CD and that is a few grand just for the software. A surround mastering solution is about $3k minimum.

Yes, I am asking about suround sound. What I am looking for is the mastering software and a mixer that has some capabilities with suround. I am guessing you could use any 8 bus mixer, however, I thought I saw some, somewhere with suround mixing cabilities (joystick, display, etc.).

I wasn't aware that a CD could be written with more than stero. I have looked and can't find anything for writing suround tracks to DVD.

How much are you planning on spending? I researched it awhile back and a surround DVD mastering setup starts at $3k for software and around $500 for the burner. That is just for the cheapo crappy budget solution. To encode surround on a CD would require REALLY expensive dolby encoders.

If you just want to mess around with it you can do it in the software I mentioned above but you can't make a master. If you want to look more into the software for mastering do a search on google for 'DVD authoring'. www.sonic.com has the cheapest software. The reason it is hard to find info is that even for pro use that technology is still pretty new.

The Roland Studio Pack Pro supports surround mixing and many of the new control surfaces have joysticks to work with different programs.

The bottom line is that affordable home surround mastering is not yet a reality. It is still pretty expensive and hopefully will be available for less in the next couple of years. If anyone knows of any cheap alternatives I'd be curious to hear about them.

Back