does using a preamp really make a difference?

xfatalherox

hey. i do lots of home recording, but i have the cheapest and simplest setup ever imaginable. i record with a really cheap $20 Superlux microphone, i use an XLR to 1/4 Hi-z cable, and then i use a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter which plugs in straight into the mic jack on my sound card, which came with my computer. I kno this is a really stupid setup but i was wondering, does getting an actual mic preamp make a difference in sound??? I haven't been getting very good results at all with my setup, especially when recording guitar with distortion. also, for all you more experienced people out there, is my setup my main problem with my cheap quality sound, or is it possible to get good results with a setup as crappy as mine??? please help.

Hey, don't feel stupid asking questions on this forum (although you might want to post in newbies). I started off with almost your exact same setup about half a year ago.
If you want to use a mic, you really should get a pre-amp. You may be able to get sounds into your computer without it, but it will be at very low volume. Some pre-amps are meant to "color" your sounds and some are meant to be a more straight representation.
It really depends on how much music and recording play into your life. If you want to make it sound better, you're going to want to upgrade your gear. If you just want to capture musical ideas, you're OK with what you have.
If you just plan on using one mic, you can get pretty cheap pre-amps that are not too bad. Lots of people start off with the M-Audio Audio Buddy, although I have no experience with it. My first pre was a Studio Projects VTB-1, and I still love it.

my setup was an audiotechnica mic from somewhere i have no idea. (my singer used it on stage and it happened to disappear). i had that plugged into my soundcard's line in and when the line in connection broke under the stress of the cable input then i put it in the mic in. i used Cakewalk Guitar tracks 2. $49.99 at bestbuy. i had some good times with that and i never got the guitar distortion i wanted. a preamp will help tremendously....a small mixer would do the same thing also. your sound will be more present and clear. now as for vocals, try taking it a step further and getting a condensor mic and you'll notice a sound difference again. but first things first....look into a small mixer or a preamp and try to make sure what ever you get has phantom power. then look into getting something like a shure 57 or 58 or a condensor mic. people use the shure 57 ($89-99 new) for damn near everything and i hear the Studio Projects B1 Condensor mic (also $89-99 new) can be used for this also.

I agree, I think a preamp would help also. Especially with the fact that you have a cheap microphone. Most sound cards don't have a true preamp built in to them. If you get a preamp and decide to get a better mic, you may need the preamp for phantom power or something, so either way it is a good idea.

Before I got my AKG Solidtube I had a cheap Superlux condenser mic. I recorded some vocals with it and didn't think it sounded too bad. Once I got a pre-amp it sounded like a totally different microphone. I still use that condenser mic to record acousitic guitars. It works pretty well.

Here is what you should do. Buy a used Shure SM57. They are about $60 used and 10 years from now when you are a experienced engineer you will still be using it all the time.

An outboard mic pre can make a big difference (especially really good ones) but I would look at finding a little Mackie 1202 used. Mackies catch a lot of flack and some of it is merited, but the truth is that they are a great value, they are reliable and they sound OK. I almost never use Mackie stuff anymore but I have done major label work with them in the past. the little 1202 will also let you start experimenting with multiple mics and mixing them down to one track.

Buy two SM57s...I know a lot of people record guitars in stereo with two 57s on the grill, slightly off-axis. Maybe pair these with an m-audio dmp3. Just an idea.

Back