Does Using 1/4" vs. XLR, bypass pre amps?

Reggaesoldier

So I was using my DMP3 into a Behringer mx802a mixer via (bal)1/4"-to-XLR cables. And (unbal)1/4"-to-1/4" into a fostex MR8's 1/4" (unbal) ins. I was told that I should use the 1/4" jacks in the mixer or even better the mr8 to bypass the pre amps. Is this true? Do I have to use the 1/4" jacks on units I want plug my DMP3 into to bypass the internal preamps on the other unit? Does this make sense? Its really confusing me. I also was wondering, if this is correct, what exactly does it do to the sound when I go from the DMP3's (bal)1/4" outs to the mr8's (unbal) 1/4" ins? It almost doesn't seem right to me. Again if this makes no sense let me know?

Also, if this again is true, why is it that only the XLR ins are preamped and not the 1/4" either? Thanx in advance to anyone who can set me straight.

I have both Behringer mixers and a Fostex MR8. For the Behringer units I have, both the 1/4 and XLR inputs appear to go through the pre-amp. The gain control can be used in both situations for level control.

The 1/4 inputs on the Behringer support both balanced and unbalanced inputs. I have used both in different situations. The 1/4 input on the Fostex is only unbalanced.

References for a M-Audio Dual Mic Pre and Direct Box show it to be a 2 channel mic preamp. If your mics are connected to this first, then going through another preamp in a mixer is probably not the best approach. Either going direct into the Fostex or into one of the non-XLR input channels on the mixer might be a better choice.

What are you trying to record here? How many total sources are you using at one time?

Ed

Hey reaggae soldier looks like you've got a couple of similar threads going on. :D :

Take a look in your other one for my response to your question.

This thread raises another issue though:

"I was told that I should use the 1/4" jacks in the mixer or even better the mr8 to bypass the pre amps."

Both the mixer and MR 8 have preamps. Bypassing the mixers pre shouldn't be a problem (using the line ins) but as I said in the other thread you can't bypass the pres in the MR 8.

just a little word that i thought might help you

mr8 does not have phantom power for condensors.........................

Back