Does Used Audio Tape Have Any Market Value?

beau

I'm preparing to sell a bunch of 7" and 10½" x ¼" metal and plastic reels, and some of them are full reels of old tape.
Does the old tape have any value, or should I throw it out before putting the reels up for sale?
And, are the reels more or less or the same value with or without tape?

Most of the tape is Maxell 35B or 120B, some is Scotch, and though it's possible to tell which is which just by looking at them, I wouldn't market them as a specific brand, I'd just say, e.g., x number of 7" reels with tape and y number of 10½" reels with tape.

Thanks!

Some used tape is better then others. I guess it depends on the age, type, if it was spliced, quality when new, and how it was stored. Someone else should chime in with that info. However, if the tape is unknown it would be cheaper to remove the tape from the reel for cheaper shipping. Be sure you pay little attention to the used prices because people pump them way up just because it's analog vintage. In a lot of cases you can buy the part or tape new from the manufacture cheaper then you can from Joe Schmuck on Junkbay. Sell your stuff for what you would feel comfortable buying it yourself.

It'd be best to check the sticky shed list (here on this forum and in other places) to see if any of your tapes are mentioned. If they're not on the list then you might be able to sell a 10.5" reel w/o splices for $15? That's just a guess.

I've bought 10.5" reels of used, old, crusty tape just for the reels. I'll remove the flanges from the hub and chuck the tape into the garbage. There's always that.

One note on used reels, I bought some sticky 1/2" 407 for the reels, price was right, but quite a few of the nuts sheared off when unscrewed. Even with the price of new screws it was a fine deal for empty reels, but that is something to keep in mind when buying used reels. Maxell tape doesn't get sticky shed, and again depending on its condition, could be good to go after erasure. The Maxell tape I have has a leader which IMSMC has the designation printed on it.

Back