Does this work?

I thought it sounded OK. I thought the playing was real good. I liked the drum sound quite a bit.

In general I thought the mix had a bit of a thin sound. Everything is super clear, but at the expense of sounding a bit sterile and/or thin. The guitar, trumpet, and piano are particular examples. The bass could also use a little more low-mid energy.

But that's kind of a minor nit. I thought it sounded pretty good.

the timing is a bit sloppy in parts, could be better. It does also lack warmth overall as has already been pointed out, I liked the trumpet playing though.

I think i liked this version better than the other you posted, i guess i would agree with the previous statements about the overall warmth or more the ambience of the mix. The mandolin definitely stood out a lot more and seemed to have more body. The hihat wasn't quite so in the face either. I will say that's all just my vague opinion, i'm certainly no expert in mixing music like this, and it still sounds pretty good to me.

Yes, you've got some more tone in the mando now, and the hi-hat has settled into the mix. Bass might be a little too loud during the early part with the mando playing lead. It does sound a bit 'sterile', I can hear some reverb, especially on the snare, but maybe you could hi-pass it?

Back