Does this vocal volume level sound about right for a condenser microphone?

MagicX

Hello, HomeRecording!

I recently bought a new microphone for my home recording setup, an Audio Technica AT2010. I've been playing around with it for the better part of today, but seeing as this is my first condenser microphone I was wondering if the test recording below would be considered a 'normal' volume output (in terms of distortion/clipping) from a condenser microphone.

https://soundcloud.com/magicxb/test-recording-acapella-with

Also, you're more than welcome to add comments on the vocals themselves if you want - it was really meant as more of a quick test of the new microphone, but oh well.

It sounds alright apart from the high frequency annoyance which is like a ringing, from the treatment of the signal. In answer to your question, it's a non question, as the mic does not determine the volume of the audio file. The user has that luxury by way of gain on the input, levels on the recorder, EQ adds or subtracts db depending on its attenuation of whichever frequencies, and then the user also has control over the track volume when saving the file in an audio editor or DAW. Sounds a bit like Bjork first thing in the morning, level sounded ok but that's when it's just the vocal, you'll obvious find the levels require more thought once there are other sounds to compete with or compliment.

Tim

Er, I know that when we talk about mixing we say "use your ears" but that doesn't really apply to setting recording levels.

Use the meters or visual display on your DAW and adjust your recording levels so your voice averages around -18 and has peaks up to -10 or so. Much better than trying to judge audio quality from an online MP3.

Back